Is there moonlighting in Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was talking with a friend (a Psychiatry PGY-2) on the subject of moonlighting. He mentioned that moonlighting was not uncommon to do in his specialty (ie. a weekend at a Psych-ER). This made me curious: is there anything analogous in podiatry? Does anyone actually do this as a resident or out in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated at one program where the upper years would cover clinic for their attendings and got paid pretty well. I've heard of another that busted nails at a nursing home on weekends. I think some programs prohibit this in their contracts, and others don't care. I wouldn't choose a program based on the ability to moonlight, but some people have bills to pay and that's important to them.

I rotated at one program where the upper years would cover clinic for their attendings and got paid pretty well. I've heard of another that busted nails at a nursing home on weekends. I think some programs prohibit this in their contracts, and others don't care. I wouldn't choose a program based on the ability to moonlight, but some people have bills to pay and that's important to them.

Yeah obviously the ability to moonlight should not be a factor in choosing a residency. Just wondering if it happened in podiatry as well. Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places have opportunities. Technically moonlighting is not allowed during "regular hours" because technically you are supposed to be working at your residency. Some places do some chip and clip on the weekends as mentioned. The ER residents at my hospital moonlight quite a bit at urgent cares or rural hospitals on their days off and the internal medicine residents can moonlight in the ICU. I've also got a good friend who is a dermatology resident who moonlights almost every weekend and makes good money. There are probably more opportunities as MD/DO than DPM. We are looking at some opportunities for moonlighting (chip and clip probably), and it may happen, but it seems like it's been more difficult to set up than you might think.

Errrrr careful there.

Does your malpractice through your residency cover you for non residency thingies?

Ummmm yeah and who is billing for the services you are providing? If it's your attending a and they are not there with you...oops...that's a BIG problem. You don't want to start your career on that foot now do you??

Errrrr careful there.

Does your malpractice through your residency cover you for non residency thingies?

Ummmm yeah and who is billing for the services you are providing? If it's your attending a and they are not there with you...oops...that's a BIG problem. You don't want to start your career on that foot now do you??

:thumbup:

Errrrr careful there.

I wonder how residents in other specialties get around or deal with that?