Is there such a things as "Aiming too low"?? Rejected for stats too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe the term colleges use for this is "demonstrated interest". Take the following scenario: Say Sally applies to two non-"top tier" medical schools, as well as top-ranked Herpvard and Derpkins, with stellar stats and ECs.

Herpvard and Derpkins, knowing their reputations precede them, assume that Sally would bend over backward to attend their medical schools if she were accepted. So they interview her and see what happens.

University of Herp, the flagship university of Sally's home state, also sees Sally's strong application. They also see that one of her parents attended U of Herp, and that both her folks live in the area. Sally even took a couple of classes there over the summer. So it only makes sense that they give Sally, an above-average applicant, an interview.

Derp State, however, is three states over from Sally's home state of Herp. They see Sally's stats, which are impressive; it's only natural that an applicant of her caliber would also apply to Herpvard and Derpkins, as well as at least one school in her home state. But they also see that Sally has taken summer classes at U of Herp, that she has family ties to the area and the school, and can find few reasons why Sally would apply to Derp State at all. They could ask her to fly in for an interview, take the time to see what she's about--or they could use that same time slot and those resources to interview Harry, who is from just two hours away from Derp State and has similar stats. It's not that they wouldn't love to have Sally--she seems like a great candidate; but Derp State sees so many more applicants who have ties to the area, and who would be more likely to matriculate AND thrive there. So they wish Sally the best, but decline to interview her.

Sally wasn't rejected because her scores were TOO HIGH, but because Derp State has limited time and resources, and because Sally may not have been as enthusiastic about attending Derp State as many of their other applicants--which means that there is both a low chance of her accepting an admission offer, as well as (perhaps) a higher chance of her being unhappy (and potentially less successful) at that medical school. And yeah, maybe they'd like to protect their yield numbers a little bit, too--though one applicant won't sway those numbers too much either way.

My point is this: Yes, medical schools take a risk with each applicant they interview, and each one they admit. There is a certain amount of gambling that goes into it--or perhaps a better way to say it would be to call it a cost-benefit analysis. It's a slightly more complex process than "oh, they just threw me out because my stats were sooooo high" or "you didn't fit their mission statement", you know? Medical schools take pride in their students and hope their students take pride in the school, and part of that equation in the admissions process is demonstrated interest; no school is going to throw away an admission offer or an interview slot on someone whom they believe has little interest in the school, be their stats high or average or low or anywhere in between.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they say.

But they do say he graduated top of his class...only to become a blood spatter analyst.

Then Masuka mentions eukaryotic algae a little later, and Dexter has no idea what a eukaryote is

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, I think having a high GPA + MCAT isn't enough to get rejected from a mediocre school.

You need to also be out of state.

Schools read that combo as safety school/never going to attend.

My radiologist, upon hearing I was applying to med school, told me his story. He was a Texas resident, 39 on MCAT, undergrad and grad at top 5 school. Accepted to Baylor and Southwestern, rejected without interview at UTSA, Texas Tech and UT-Houston (the last surprises me), He really thought that they had rejected him based on the assumption that he wasn't going to attend if accepted.

I think the assumption needs to be modified. Fit is key here as well. He just seemed like a super-academic doc who probably wouldn't choose primary care in a rural area if his life depended on it. Not exactly the greatest fit for a school like Texas Tech. I also didn't know about the rest of his app. Sometimes these super high-achieving types can be arrogant, selfish jerks and it'll come through in their PS (though my radiologist isn't). Just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:
I believe the term colleges use for this is "demonstrated interest". Take the following scenario: Say Sally applies to two non-"top tier" medical schools, as well as top-ranked Herpvard and Derpkins, with stellar stats and ECs.

Herpvard and Derpkins, knowing their reputations precede them, assume that Sally would bend over backward to attend their medical schools if she were accepted. So they interview her and see what happens.

University of Herp, the flagship university of Sally's home state, also sees Sally's strong application. They also see that one of her parents attended U of Herp, and that both her folks live in the area. Sally even took a couple of classes there over the summer. So it only makes sense that they give Sally, an above-average applicant, an interview.

Derp State, however, is three states over from Sally's home state of Herp. They see Sally's stats, which are impressive; it's only natural that an applicant of her caliber would also apply to Herpvard and Derpkins, as well as at least one school in her home state. But they also see that Sally has taken summer classes at U of Herp, that she has family ties to the area and the school, and can find few reasons why Sally would apply to Derp State at all. They could ask her to fly in for an interview, take the time to see what she's about--or they could use that same time slot and those resources to interview Harry, who is from just two hours away from Derp State and has similar stats. It's not that they wouldn't love to have Sally--she seems like a great candidate; but Derp State sees so many more applicants who have ties to the area, and who would be more likely to matriculate AND thrive there. So they wish Sally the best, but decline to interview her.

Sally wasn't rejected because her scores were TOO HIGH, but because Derp State has limited time and resources, and because Sally may not have been as enthusiastic about attending Derp State as many of their other applicants--which means that there is both a low chance of her accepting an admission offer, as well as (perhaps) a higher chance of her being unhappy (and potentially less successful) at that medical school. And yeah, maybe they'd like to protect their yield numbers a little bit, too--though one applicant won't sway those numbers too much either way.

My point is this: Yes, medical schools take a risk with each applicant they interview, and each one they admit. There is a certain amount of gambling that goes into it--or perhaps a better way to say it would be to call it a cost-benefit analysis. It's a slightly more complex process than "oh, they just threw me out because my stats were sooooo high" or "you didn't fit their mission statement", you know? Medical schools take pride in their students and hope their students take pride in the school, and part of that equation in the admissions process is demonstrated interest; no school is going to throw away an admission offer or an interview slot on someone whom they believe has little interest in the school, be their stats high or average or low or anywhere in between.

Great example.

I remember reading Mdapplicants.com last cycle and I saw this person who had AMAZING stats!

Next to "Boston University" the person wrote a comment along the lines of, "I thought they'd reject me because my stats were too high and they'd think I was using them as a safety, but I got an interview probably because I wrote a really convincing essay"...

Then, months later I checked back and said person had been accepted, and withdrew that acceptance to go to Harvard or Penn or Hopkins or something....

In the end, the person was using them as a safety.

Great example.

I remember reading Mdapplicants.com last cycle and I saw this person who had AMAZING stats!

Next to "Boston University" the person wrote a comment along the lines of, "I thought they'd reject me because my stats were too high and they'd think I was using them as a safety, but I got an interview probably because I wrote a really convincing essay"...

Then, months later I checked back and said person had been accepted, and withdrew that acceptance to go to Harvard or Penn or Hopkins or something....

In the end, the person was using them as a safety.

Link or it didn't happen.

J/k, I remember seeing something along those lines, actually.

To be honest, I think having a high GPA + MCAT isn't enough to get rejected from a mediocre school.

You need to also be out of state.

Schools read that combo as safety school/never going to attend.

Idk, there are a lot of people who get rejected from their state schools but get into top tiers
. Yield protection is rampant these days.

Unless every person with those stats is getting autorejected, clearly there are some people making it through with those stats. I'm pretty sure the school isn't completely devoid of students with high stats. Of course it's an easy cop-out excuse that makes people feel better to think that the only reason a school wouldn't accept them is because you're just that awesome that the school wouldn't even dare imagine you gliding through their halls, busting curves left and right with your almost unfairly unmatched intellect.

It's likely a school raises their eyebrow when some superstar candidate applies without giving any serious indication of why he/she wants to attend. Why should they waste their time with some guy who isn't serious or doesn't seem genuinely interested? It doesn't mean you're "too qualified." It means you didn't sufficiently demonstrate why you want attend and why you'd be a great candidate for their school.

Yield protect doesn't have to mean auto-reject. It can mean not auto-accepting some person just because they have high stats and go through the motions.

This debate is silly.

Most schools do not have hard cutoffs (high or low) - they eventually look at everybody to some extent. If you can stand out some way, they will still give you a shot.

For those saying that some people come across as arrogant and therefore get into Harvard but not BU - WTF are you talking about?

Those people who really come across as arrogant get rejected from both.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who's been on the adcom side I can tell you that you guys are off base.

This debate is silly.

Most schools do not have hard cutoffs (high or low) - they eventually look at everybody to some extent. If you can stand out some way, they will still give you a shot.

For those saying that some people come across as arrogant and therefore get into Harvard but not BU - WTF are you talking about?

Those people who really come across as arrogant get rejected from both.

I think you misunderstood my point and made the assumption of "arrogance" from my post when it was in no way implied. I was merely showing a case when a person basically said they didn't apply to BU as a safety, and then in the end, when push came to shove and they got into higher ranked schools they did use it as a safety.

As an applicant from last cycle, I can say that before receiving any acceptances, I, too, remember thinking, "OMG I'd be happy to get in ANYWHERE"....That quickly changes once a couple acceptances trickle in and schools know this.

P.s. I cant seem to find that mdapplicants profile, but I'm glad someone else saw it =). The person was obviously a great candidate.

I don't know about that but I know some schools only accept people if they know it's their number one choice. For instance, if someone was applying to Harvard Medical School with a 4.0 and 38 on the MCAT with tons of volunteer and medical experience they might not get accepted if it was clear they would rather go to Yale (and trust me, admissions officers are good at being able to tell or finding that information out). But if it was clear that the person in question wanted to go to Harvard no matter what they might stand a better chance at acceptance. I think the reason being that medical schools have a limited number of acceptance slots and why would they want to waste them on people who want to attend other schools?

Last edited:
This is def not true, many people get into all the top tiers.

I don't know about that but I know some of the top schools only accept people if they know it's their number one choice. For instance, if someone was applying to Harvard Medical School with a 4.0 and 38 on the MCAT with tons of volunteer and medical experience they might not get accepted if it was clear they would rather go to Yale (and trust me, admissions officers are good at being able to tell or finding that information out). But if it was clear that the person in question wanted to go to Harvard no matter what they might stand a better chance at acceptance.

How would a school secretly know that someone wanted to go to Yale over Harvard? I don't think schools are that intuitive (the person might not even know!). I agree with the above posts. If you look around, most people that get in Harvard also get into a slew of other Top 10's.