Is There Time to Relax?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question,

I am going to be taking the MCAT this summer and was wondering if you can take one day off a week/study lighter on one day or should you be studying 24/7 for the 3 months. I'm going to be taking prep classes which meet from Monday-Friday and I plan on also studying by myself. But I wasn't sure if I would be able to hang out with friends/go out sometimes or if I should be inside studying for the whole summer :p

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely should not attempt to study for 24/7 for 3 months when preparing for the MCAT. The test requires your mind to be sharp, and you will only get mentally fatigued and burnt-out studying that much. Make sure to schedule entire days where you do nothing test related. Wind-down in the evenings, etc. Rest is often just as important as studying for the test itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With SN2ed's plan, I was always free in the late afternoon/evening, and that was with doubling up most days since I started late. Chalk it up to about the same workload as a full-time job, minus some change.

Following SN2ed's plan, about how many hours a day must one study? I only have the summer of my junior year free (somewhat free).

You definitely should not attempt to study for 24/7 for 3 months when preparing for the MCAT. The test requires your mind to be sharp, and you will only get mentally fatigued and burnt-out studying that much. Make sure to schedule entire days where you do nothing test related. Wind-down in the evenings, etc. Rest is often just as important as studying for the test itself.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Even during days when you do schedule yourself for hardcore studying (5+ hours), please do yourself a favor and set aside an hour or two to just relax and unwind. It'll help keep you from burning out. Oh, it'll keep you sane too.

I am always so guilty when I'm not studying. It is so counter-productive and takes away from the enjoyment of pursuing this goal! Working on it.......

Think of your breaks as an investment in your future productivity. Your progress depends not just on the hours you put in, but also your mental sharpness during your study time. Breaks increase your mental sharpness so you can achieve more with the hours you can put in.

3 months of MCAT prep is a marathon not a sprint. If you push yourself too hard, it'll be counterproductive. Make sure you intersperse breaks throughout your study plan.

you absolutely cannot take a break. there is a law against taking breaks during the 3 month study period. Take a break and the gestapo might kick your door in and find you. beware gunner...

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming youve already learned most of the info in classes and have a solid schedule you should be fine. Is studying the only time commitment you have? Like no job/ volunteer stuff? If so then you definitely should have free time.

you absolutely cannot take a break. there is a law against taking breaks during the 3 month study period. Take a break and the gestapo might kick your door in and find you. beware gunner...
Solid advice. I'd listen to him.

If you don't have time to relax while studying for the MCAT, you're doing something wrong and you'll definitely burn out.