Is this a HIPAA violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am overthinking this. In one of my essays, I am writing about my experience growing up with alcoholic parents, and I was going to mention that my father was eventually diagnosed with cirrhosis. However, because my parents names are listed on the AMCAS application, is this technically a HIPAA violation? Should I avoid even discussing the alcoholism, or would that part be okay since it is not an official disease diagnosis?

Members don't see this ad.

No because you are not his medical provider. You are simply telling a story about your family. However, be careful for all situations involving others and make sure that there's no identifying information.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
No because you are not his medical provider. You are simply telling a story about your family. However, be careful for all situations involving others and make sure that there's no identifying information.
That makes sense. As far as the identifying information, what I was worried about is the fact that the AMCAS application asks for parents' first and last name, so if I say in an essay that "my father was diagnosed with cirrhosis," it could be pretty easy for somebody to put two and two together.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if I am overthinking this. In one of my essays, I am writing about my experience growing up with alcoholic parents, and I was going to mention that my father was eventually diagnosed with cirrhosis. However, because my parents names are listed on the AMCAS application, is this technically a HIPAA violation? Should I avoid even discussing the alcoholism, or would that part be okay since it is not an official disease diagnosis?
Nope. I've seen a gazillion diseases listed in PS's for family members. Parents have also been outed for abusive behavior and drug use too, not just alcohol abuse.

Very sorry to hear of your woes, but you are indeed overthinking this.

Reactions: 3 users
That makes sense. As far as the identifying information, what I was worried about is the fact that the AMCAS application asks for parents' first and last name, so if I say in an essay that "my father was diagnosed with cirrhosis," it could be pretty easy for somebody to put two and two together.
It doesn't matter because your father is not your patient. You can disclose any information you want about family, friends, random strangers, etc. without it being a HIPAA violation because HIPAA only applies when you are involved in the patient's care as part of your work in the healthcare industry. If you know that information by any other means, it's not covered by HIPAA.

Reactions: 3 users
@cj_cregg @Goro thank you for the responses! I definitely feel more comfortable now.

Even if it is not a violation of the law, it is an invasion of your father's privacy, which is prohibited by the Hippocratic Oath. Of course, you are not a physician and not all physicians take that oath but personal privacy is something we value in our society and, although this may seem hard to believe, someone who knows your family might be reading your application.

You don't need to share a diagnosis and even alcoholism, now called Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD), is a diagnosis. You can say a chronic, debilitating illness that could have been fatal. Give dear old Dad that fig leaf of privacy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Even if it is not a violation of the law, it is an invasion of your father's privacy, which is prohibited by the Hippocratic Oath. Of course, you are not a physician and not all physicians take that oath but personal privacy is something we value in our society and, although this may seem hard to believe, someone who knows your family might be reading your application.

You don't need to share a diagnosis and even alcoholism, now called Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD), is a diagnosis. You can say a chronic, debilitating illness that could have been fatal. Give dear old Dad that fig leaf of privacy.
I definitely hear where you are coming from. It is fair to say that it is an invasion of privacy. It can be hard to speak about it in more vague language because it makes it more difficult to convey the stress that it also put on me as a child growing up in that volatile of an environment. I do not mean to be selfish at all either and I respect that all people deserve privacy. I will likely end up leaving this out or just speaking about it much more vaguely, as you mention.

Briefly: no you were not a healthcare provider or party to a medical record where you can disclose such information, so HIPAA is not in play.

We presume that your parents are okay in using their story in your essay. It's not like we need some evidence you had permission from a family member. That said, just understand that anything you put down can be fair game in an interview. As long as you are not easily triggered from discussing your story, approach this essay mindfully. Do not use the story to hold a "pity party." You probably don't need to use the word "diagnosis."

If you are going to be specific with details in the essay, I’d strongly urge you to ask your dad if it’s okay to talk about his alcoholism use disorder. Otherwise it’s fine.

I only say this from an ethical perspective. I know family members who’ve used my medical issues as material for med school essays. I also know family members who’ll casually converse about my infertility with friends.

I don’t mind (it’s not a big secret), but I just wish they asked me first. Especially since I’m Indian and stuff like this spreads like wildfire amongst desis.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are going to be specific with details in the essay, I’d strongly urge you to ask your dad if it’s okay to talk about his alcoholism use disorder. Otherwise it’s fine.

I only say this from an ethical perspective. I know family members who’ve used my medical issues as material for med school essays. I also know family members who’ll casually converse about my infertility with friends.

I don’t mind (it’s not a big secret), but I just wish they asked me first. Especially since I’m Indian and stuff like this spreads like wildfire amongst desis.
I really appreciate you sharing the perspective of someone whose own experiences have been written about/discussed to others. That definitely makes sense, and I did decide that I will speak with my father before writing about/sharing anything personal about him on my applications. Thank you!