Is this a lost cause? [Nontrad]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metadroo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated university ~10 years ago with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I prioritized working and other things over school and had multiple F’s and D’s. I’ve always felt passionate about medicine but always felt it was unattainable. I’ve taken the past few years to fully pursue this goal and want to know if I’ve done enough, is it even worth it to apply this next cycle, and what more do I need to do to show reinvention?

- ~2.6 cGPA and ~3.1 sGPA
- 4.0 post bacc (currently at 44 credits)
- 522 MCAT (131/131/130/130)
- ~14k hours as a software engineer (FAANG)
- 500 hours EMT (projected 1k by time of application)
- 300 hours volunteering (hospice, habitat for humanity (leading a big project due to previous engineering experience), tutoring) (Projecting 400 by application)
- 50 hours research (planning to get more and be around 200 by application)
- Maryland resident

Let me know if there’s any additional info I can provide. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you've done an excellent job of showing reinvention. A few questions:
What schools are you aiming for?
Do you have a good reason why you didn't think medicine was attainable and mechanical engineering was?
Why do you want to become a physician now?

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing I don't see on your list is shadowing. I'd try to have at least 75 hours. Otherwise, you look good to go! Great job.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is NOT a lost cause. With an MCAT score of 522 and a 4.0 post-bacc, you should get interest from MD schools. If you have not done so already, read Goro's guide to reinvention (link below) and focus on schools that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you've done an excellent job of showing reinvention. A few questions:
What schools are you aiming for?
Do you have a good reason why you didn't think medicine was attainable and mechanical engineering was?
Why do you want to become a physician now?
Thank you!
I haven’t gotten as far as to compile as school list but I’m open to both MD and DO, preferably MD due to my interest in surgery and only because I read that it was easier to match from MD schools. I was hoping to get more insight on a school list.
Several reasons factored into going into school for engineering; the main one being that I’m a first gen immigrant/college student who was concerned about money, this was a huge stressor for me, hence why I chose to pick up shifts even if that meant missing lectures. I initially went into engineering hoping to work adjacent to medicine (biomedical engineering / medical devices) and I really bought into the whole C’s get degrees mentality and never studied/did homework throughout undergrad. Medicine seemed unattainable because I didn’t feel I could devote my life to school that long financially.
I want to be a physician because I’ve had a lot of encounters with physicians/surgeons after a traumatic accident as a child. The feeling of comfort and sense of “being repaired” that I received as a child from the wonderful physicians I encountered is one that I want to dedicate my life to to provide for others. Not to sound dramatic, but in recent years I had a lot of introspection, and I find working with patients and providing care for them to be the most rewarding thing and after doing the whole “lying in your death bed what would you regret not doing thing”, this was one of the things that came up for me.

• Love
The only thing I don't see on your list is shadowing. I'd try to have at least 75 hours. Otherwise, you look good to go! Great job.
Thank you! Yes I do have some shadowing that I forgot to put up there and will be getting more prior to applying!

It is NOT a lost cause. With an MCAT score of 522 and a 4.0 post-bacc, you should get interest from MD schools. If you have not done so already, read Goro's guide to reinvention (link below) and focus on schools that reward reinvention.

Thank you! I have read this guide and found it helpful/motivating. Sometimes this process is demoralizing which is why I posted hoping to get some more insight as to what more I could do. I will be looking into those schools and hope to compile a good list of schools to apply to in the coming months.

Thank you!
I haven’t gotten as far as to compile as school list but I’m open to both MD and DO, preferably MD due to my interest in surgery and only because I read that it was easier to match from MD schools. I was hoping to get more insight on a school list.
Several reasons factored into going into school for engineering; the main one being that I’m a first gen immigrant/college student who was concerned about money, this was a huge stressor for me, hence why I chose to pick up shifts even if that meant missing lectures. I initially went into engineering hoping to work adjacent to medicine (biomedical engineering / medical devices) and I really bought into the whole C’s get degrees mentality and never studied/did homework throughout undergrad. Medicine seemed unattainable because I didn’t feel I could devote my life to school that long financially.
I want to be a physician because I’ve had a lot of encounters with physicians/surgeons after a traumatic accident as a child. The feeling of comfort and sense of “being repaired” that I received as a child from the wonderful physicians I encountered is one that I want to dedicate my life to to provide for others. Not to sound dramatic, but in recent years I had a lot of introspection, and I find working with patients and providing care for them to be the most rewarding thing and after doing the whole “lying in your death bed what would you regret not doing thing”, this was one of the things that came up for me.
You have good answers to my questions. I think you are well on your way to med school acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!
I suggest the following. You are good to go for Medicine! have a little faith in yourself too.

Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
NOTE: as a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list. Any DO school. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.

Hi everyone,

I graduated university ~10 years ago with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I prioritized working and other things over school and had multiple F’s and D’s. I’ve always felt passionate about medicine but always felt it was unattainable. I’ve taken the past few years to fully pursue this goal and want to know if I’ve done enough, is it even worth it to apply this next cycle, and what more do I need to do to show reinvention?

- ~2.6 cGPA and ~3.1 sGPA
- 4.0 post bacc (currently at 44 credits)
- 522 MCAT (131/131/130/130)
- ~14k hours as a software engineer (FAANG)
- 500 hours EMT (projected 1k by time of application)
- 300 hours volunteering (hospice, habitat for humanity (leading a big project due to previous engineering experience), tutoring) (Projecting 400 by application)
- 50 hours research (planning to get more and be around 200 by application)
- Maryland resident

Let me know if there’s any additional info I can provide. Thanks!
Oh wow this is what you call reinvention! Def not a lost cause and very inspiring! Congrats and good luck future doctor!

I suggest the following. You are good to go for Medicine! have a little faith in yourself too.

Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
NOTE: as a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list. Any DO school. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.
Thank you Goro! Will definitely add these schools and definitely will have DO schools on the list as well. Is UMD considered the only state medical school in Maryland?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love your story. Please apply!

• Love
Moving to WAMC. I agree you have a shot.

Check with your old undergrad to see if it’s possible to retroactively withdraw or expunge your old F’s

Talk to your local admissions recruiters at the medical schools near you.
Thank you, will definitely be sure to do this. I’ve reached out to my alma mater and will also reach out to as many schools as possible in hopes not to get screened out.

Moving to WAMC. I agree you have a shot.

Check with your old undergrad to see if it’s possible to retroactively withdraw or expunge your old F’s
Thank you! Will definitely do this. In your experience have you found that institutions are fairly receptive to this type of request?

Thank you! Will definitely do this. In your experience have you found that institutions are fairly receptive to this type of request?
Totally school dependent. Some have a mechanism for this, others are sticklers. But you have nothing to lose by asking

In your experience have you found that institutions are fairly receptive to this type of request?
There must be regional differences. I can't say we do much recruiting on the west coast...
We have pathway programs and such, but general recruiting just isn't a thing here.
It may explain the requests we keep getting from the east coast (and mid-west) to participate in "recruitment events."

Update: Gave my alma mater a call yesterday about possible retroactive withdrawal and unfortunately they don’t have a mechanism for it. But we continue looking forward! :)

Update: Gave my alma mater a call yesterday about possible retroactive withdrawal and unfortunately they don’t have a mechanism for it. But we continue looking forward! :)
That's okay... not every school does this. Admissions folks however can figure that out.

That's okay... not every school does this. Admissions folks however can figure that out.
Yep, speaking with a few schools during AAMC virtual fair about my situation they mentioned that recent course work and MCAT would be way more relevant than my grades from 10 years ago. I guess we’ll see how much weight the old gpa will have.

It is really a crapshoot - that's why Goro suggested top schools like Columbia that like reinvention and DO schools as well. You're probably one of the top five best reinventors I've ever seen on SDN; congrats. Nobody's worried about your academic ability, that's for sure.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
It is really a crapshoot - that's why Goro suggested top schools like Columbia that like reinvention and DO schools as well. You're probably one of the top five best reinventors I've ever seen on SDN; congrats. Nobody's worried about your academic ability, that's for sure.
Thank you! It means a lot.