Is this an issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelsead92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 22 years old and I really want to be a Veterinarian. I was wondering if someone who is under 5 ft can work in this field? I mean would it be an issue? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Well...what field in vet med? There are many options...so...your question is rather vague.

Short, general answer: Not an issue that would prevent someone from working in the field. There would be challenges, but shorter people bring stools to reach taller horses or cattle from what I've noticed and no one cares.

I would say as a female dominated occupation there are lots of smaller, petite people in the business and they do just fine. Short stature is something for which accommodations can be made pretty easily so it's not really an issue to worry over.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. I like to look at what I CAN do and when I find something I can't physically do, I find another way. You'll do the same.

I don't know, can you see over the person sitting in front of you in class?
Otherwise you might have to sit in the front row ya know.
:confused:

Reactions: 2 users
If you mean like, dwarfism - it could have some physical restrictions, like decreased ability to restrain large dogs or difficulty palpating horses - that sort of thing. If you are just short, it's probably less likely to be a serious issue.

As a member of the 5' and below party myself, I feel as though I am at the optimal height for tail bleeds, palpations, etc.

5'0 here...palpating (dairy in particular) is ridiculously difficult for me. My arm is literally not long enough in some cases to feel stuff, plus it's tough with small hands to try and maneuver a big slippery uterus. (People say you can bring a stool with you but I'd like to see them use a stool in any scenario other than a full body chute...the hind end has a good range of motion even when tied, and we also had to palpate in free stalls.) Beef is not so bad because they're smaller height-wise and the fetus just about bites you when you put your hand in there but dairy is tough. That being said, I'm sure people make it work.

Restraining large dogs can be tough too, but usually you have enough people to lend a hand in those scenarios. Horses is all about attitude for handling, not size.

5'0 here...palpating (dairy in particular) is ridiculously difficult for me. My arm is literally not long enough in some cases to feel stuff, plus it's tough with small hands to try and maneuver a big slippery uterus. (People say you can bring a stool with you but I'd like to see them use a stool in any scenario other than a full body chute...the hind end has a good range of motion even when tied, and we also had to palpate in free stalls.) Beef is not so bad because they're smaller height-wise and the fetus just about bites you when you put your hand in there but dairy is tough. That being said, I'm sure people make it work.

Restraining large dogs can be tough too, but usually you have enough people to lend a hand in those scenarios. Horses is all about attitude for handling, not size.
5'2" here with a similar problem. I have pretty short arms and palpating was difficult but not impossible. Professors have told me to be sure to grab a bucket, a stool, or a bale of hay, especially when working with dystocias.
Everyone is going to have some kind of limitation, the trick is learning how to work with it. I have really small hands so I have itty bitty needle drivers, and have to make do with a larger glove size sometimes. There are some students in my class that are... exceptionally rotund and they have to make sure to request larger gowns than normal when scrubbing in for surgery. We all make it work.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not quite 5'1" and I'll agree with redhead that the only thing I really have an issue with is rectal palpation. Fortunately, not something I plan on doing a lot of in my career. I have tiny hands, so sometimes holding off or getting a good grip on a big dog leg can be tricky, and the school doesn't stock surgery gloves quite small enough for my short fingers. I'd echo Rwwilliams though, everyone will have to make adjustments and as long as you aren't at the extreme ends of the spectrum (like dwarfism was mentioned), you'll find ways to do things and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Huh, I haven't had a problem with my dairy girls yet...I'm sure I will now. We'll see what vet school has to bring me this year.

The too-large-gloves struggle hits home though