Is this "Clinical Experience"/Should I get a LOR from this? (Re-applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactusinmyhead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm reapplying in June. I've talked to several medical schools that rejected me and learned that lack of "clinical experience" was my major weakness. Here's a link to more info about my app if you're interested:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-list-3-93-gpa-35-mcat.1127821/#post-16346570

By the time I submit my application I will have worked at a medical center in a clinic 40 hours/week for ~5 months. My title is "Administrative Assistant". I sit at the front reception desk and check patients in and do administrative work. BUT due to the nature of the specialty I work in--we see the same patients everyday for several weeks, so I get to know them all VERY well. I've had the chance to shadow a physician that works here too. I'm certainly close enough to "smell the patients" as @LizzyM says and I think I can sell the experience well. Do you think this counts? And should I get a LOR from this experience (from my manager)? I already have 3 faculty letters, letter from a physician, and a letter from clinical volunteering. And I don't plan to list this experience as "most meaningful", although it is #4 in my opinion (i.e. if we were allowed to have 4 most meaningful experiences it would be #4).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I think you should get a letter from your manager (or even better the physician you shadowed).

It's difficult to say whether or not you should classify this as clinical experience...I would wait to see if others reply to your post.

It seems as though you and I are in similar situations. I will be reapplying this to teh 2016 cycle. I'm too far down the alternate list at a school so I know I'm not getting in. They recommended that I get more clinical experience, so that's my greatest weakness right now as well.

I've applied to be a medical scribe in hopes that I can up my clinical hours. Do you volunteer or anything?

Hey, I think you should get a letter from your manager (or even better the physician you shadowed).

It's difficult to say whether or not you should classify this as clinical experience...I would wait to see if others reply to your post.

It seems as though you and I are in similar situations. I will be reapplying this to teh 2016 cycle. I'm too far down the alternate list at a school so I know I'm not getting in. They recommended that I get more clinical experience, so that's my greatest weakness right now as well.

I've applied to be a medical scribe in hopes that I can up my clinical hours. Do you volunteer or anything?
Perhaps I could get a LOR with multiple authors/signers. I work closely with the nurses and technicians here and they've commented on how I am "good with patients". Might be an interesting letter.

Good to know I am not alone on the reapplication journey! You are I are in a good place at least--it's easier to get additional clinical experience than it is to fix a poor GPA/MCAT.

I do volunteer. I'm aiming to have ~100 hours at a nursing home working with Dementia patients by June. Getting a LOR from that too.