Is this clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidlee97

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This summer I have worked as. care coordinator for two hundred hours. I basically called patients and checked up on their chronic conditions like asthma and hypertension. I made appointments and refilled their medication for them as well as administer asthma control test. *I was wondering if this is clinical volunteering and patient exposure even though I did not see patients face to face.
Working on a crisis hotline is often considered to be active clinical experience, so adcomms will generally view this the same way, even though neither requires face-to-face care. This activity does not answer to the question of whether you'll enjoy personally interacting with acutely sick and injured folks (with all their unique sights, sounds, and odors) so I'd hope that your experience has, or will be, rounded out with that type of contact, too.

Reactions: 1 user
I would put this more under the category of administrative in a health-care setting.

You "worked". If you worked, it is employment, not volunteer. In either case, it is a gray zone between clinical and non-clinical. The people are patients so it might be "employment clinical" but it should not be your only experience as you need to be up-close and in the same room with patients to know if you want to make it your life's work.

Reactions: 2 users