Is this considered "paid employment - medical/clinical" or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat4321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked a part-time job at a diabetes clinic where I worked under a diabetes educator and was responsible for coordinating a diabetes self-management program (so I called patients to enroll them into the program and schedule them into classes). Even though I was working at a diabetes clinic and I was talking to patients over the phone, I don't know if this should be considered a medical/clinical paid employment. But at the same time, I can see how I could list it under that category. I have other clinical experiences, so I don't want to put this activity in the wrong category if it's not appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this question may be addressed more appropriately if you give a call to admissions at a medical school you are interested in. Describe to them what you did. I think you are in the grey here because although you spoke with patients, you did not directly work with them. As a physician, you won't have the luxury to deal with a patient over the phone for a large extent of practice.

Reactions: 1 user
If all you did was schedule people for classes over the phone, that sounds non-clinical to me (even if it was for a medical practice).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it is employment. Now we decide if it is clinical or non-clinical. What makes employment "clinical"? Is there any definition in the AMCAS instructions? I'm not sure myself... it might be better to misclassify it as "non-clinical" and some adcoms upgrade it in their minds than to call it "clinical" and have some adcoms think you are padding your application by misclassifying a clerical position as clinical.

while physicians don't spend all their time on the telephone, having the ability to communicate clearly without visual cues to people who have serious health concerns is a valuable skill.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for responding! I think your suggestion to classify it as non-clinical and have adcoms upgrade it in their minds if they chose to seems appropriate and the safest choice.

Well you got that advice from the very distinguished LizzyM and she gives great advice. And it makes so much sense what she said! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app