Is this feasable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bake89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'll *try* to keep this story short and to the point.

I'm currently a sophomore at Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville. My freshman year here was spent mostly taking general education classes due to not knowing what I wanted to major in, and being more or less scared away from majors I was interested in (partly because of poor advisement and also my own naivety). I'm now a Computer Science major. In my second semester as a CS major (right now), I've been second guessing what fields and courses of study actually interest me. After having these thoughts - I was trying to figure out what I'd do instead. I have realized I enjoy the Chemistry course I am in, and I also enjoyed the Biology class I took last summer. I did very well in these classes, and am doing well in second semester Chemistry. Since Biology and Chemistry (mostly science in general) seem to interest me (and are strengths for me), and the medical field is a practical application of these studies, I figured that pursuing medical school (or pharmacy school) would be a good idea. The thorn in my side is my GPA. I'm afraid to pursue these paths, since I am currently sitting at a 3.543 cumulative GPA. I did not take college seriously my freshman year, and ended up with a ~3.3 for that year. When I started computer science last semester, I got my *** in gear and pulled a 4.0 that semester, and now am attempting to repeat that, although Calculus is making that difficult (86%). I'm getting As in my other classes.

In summary - I have a 3.543, and I'm really afraid that this doesn't make me very competitive. Is pursuing medical or pharmacy school a pipe dream?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The GPA is pretty close to the average. I don't see an issue with you continuing down this road. You need to think about volunteering and research, maybe branch out in your experiences to get a better idea on what you'd like to do. GL

In summary - I have a 3.543, and I'm really afraid that this doesn't make me very competitive. Is pursuing medical or pharmacy school a pipe dream?

You're fine, dude (or dudette, not sure). Not every medical student is a 4.0 world of awesome as some SDN premeds would have you believe :)

3.5 to 3.7 is the competitive range.

Since Biology and Chemistry (mostly science in general) seem to interest me (and are strengths for me), and the medical field is a practical application of these studies, I figured that pursuing medical school (or pharmacy school) would be a good idea.

I think you should shadow both to see if you're cut out for either. Being interested in chemistry and biology doesn't equate with liking pharmacy or medicine. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, dude (or dudette, not sure). Not every medical student is a 4.0 world of awesome as some SDN premeds would have you believe :)

3.5 to 3.7 is the competitive range.

I think you should shadow both to see if you're cut out for either. Being interested in chemistry and biology doesn't equate with liking pharmacy or medicine. Just food for thought.

yes, I'd suggest rather than worrying about gpa, to see if medicine would be a good fit -- suggest that you get started with some clinical volunteer work and see what you think of that..gpa's not going to stop you if you ultimately decide to go into medicine or pharmacy, especially if you stay instate on the med side as SIU's school only accepts instate IL applicants. If you decide 1) to pursue medicine and 2) to look at SIU, you may want to contact the school to see what all would be required to change residency to IL unless you already are an IL resident.

Agree with previous posts- your gpa is not an issue as long as you continue with the upward trend. We all make some mistakes and/or spend a little too much time away from the books freshman year. ;)

That being said, find a way to get closer to the medical field to see if this is truly where your interests lie- shadow, take a position in a hospital (I started in the kitchen :)), or volunteer your time. Medicine is a long road, so it is best to jump in only after you are sure.

Good luck :luck:

Thank you to everyone who replied! I appreciate the advice. :)

Dear Bake 89,

Your story sounds pretty typical. An undergrad studying to decide what to do with his or her life.

The GPA you mentioned will not keep you from getting into a medical school. In fact, it is a relatively good GPA. Most interviewers understand that the first year of college can be a bumpy ride.

I am still not clear why you would want to go into medicine. Unless you have a compelling reason for this, I would pursue pharmacy instead. But, if you find it in your heart of hearts that medicine is what you want to do, then there is nothing really stopping you at this point from pursuing that. Follow the advice already mentioned on this post.

Good luck. :)