Is this good enough to apply to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hilbertparker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a junior in college, and my major is Biochem. These are my statistics:

GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 26

PS: 8
BS: 13
VR: 5

GenBio 1, 2: B, A
GenChem 1, 2: AP Credits
OChem 1, 2: AB, A
PChem 1, 2: AB, AB
Cal 1, 2, 3: AP Credits, A, A
Physics 1, 2: B, AB

All of my Labs are A

I have been doing volunteer works at a hospital since my freshman year (3 hours per week) and working part time at a restaurant as a student manager.

I am applying to Medical School of Wisconsin and Madison Med School.

So what is my chance ?

Members don't see this ad.

Very low. With those stats I would apply to about 25-30 schools, and I'd be sure to include DO.

Retake the MCAT, aim to boost verbal to a 8-10 and physical sciences to 9+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake. Aim for AT LEAST an 8 in each section. Your chances will also depend on your extracurricular activities (which I hope are above average).

If you can score a 13 in the BS section, there's no reason you shouldn't be scoring > 8 in the others. A 5 in verbal reasoning is absolutely not gonna work out. Study, retake, and apply with a 31+, which I'm certain you're capable of.

Your chances of landing MD are pretty much nothing. DO maybe if you applied broadly and early, but that VR will screen you at most schools.

Only applied to 2 schools? Goodness...apply to far more, especially those within your stats. Consider DO.

Whats an 'AB'? Is that like an A-?

Assuming this is a serious post (and it seems like it is), your absolute best bet (and bang-for-your buck) would be to re-take the MCAT. If you can get 13 in BS you can def get 8-10 in VR and a 10-12 in PS.

Very very little. The 5 on the verbal is killing you and possibly eliminating all MD chances and some DO chances. Apply for DO but I would definitly suggest retaking the MCAt and boosting verbal

I agree with what's been said. Get that MCAT up to a 30+, and I wouldn't reapply until you've got that under your belt.

Hopefully there are far more things in your ECs than mentioned above. Otherwise, gap years should be considered.

That GPA is ok. Take the advice regarding the MCAT. Do you have any other ECs?

I am going to retaking the MCAT, the first time I did not really spend time on studying so the score was so horrible, I am thinking about getting at least 10 in VR and PS.

I really want to apply to more schools, but I am afraid of letting my parents live alone because they are old and don't speak English fluently, that is why I only applied for schools within my state.

I do not know if being in clubs and working volunteer at the AIDS center (30 hours) (for one of my class) are counted as extra curricular activities.

a 26 balanced MCAT score is enough for many DO schools. but your score isn't balanced, so a retake is a must, i am afraid.