Is this hopeless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyMom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a concerned mom, I'd love to get some input from this group, which I realize I may know the answer to.

This weekend, my son is graduating with a degree in Pharmaceutical Science - he switched from chemical engineering, where he had two rough quarters but rebounded fine last 2 years. Unfortunately cGPA only 3.2. MCAT 502.

He is planning on a formal MCAT review, retaking the test, working in a pediatric hospital, volunteering for hospice and shadowing.

Any hope of DO program (we live in Ohio) or should he look into a different career?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

With a better MCAT and those EC's there is definitely hope! It all depends if he wants to put in the effort.

Completely agree with the poster above. Honestly, even with the GPA and MCAT he has now, he could potentially get interviews at some of the newer D.O. schools (e.g. ARCOM, NYIT-Arkansas, BCOM, etc.).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If he does all the those activities in the next year he has a chance for DO school with his current stats. Schools where he could receive an interview include:
OU-HCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM
Apply to all those and he should receive interviews.

Thank you so much for your replies! I'm definitely more hopeful. He's a really hard worker, very compassionate and follows through. I'm sure he'll give it everything he has.

Thanks again.

Congrats on being a well informed mother about the competitiveness of medical school admissions.

Your son should be fine with a MCAT retake. 506+ and he should get some interviews to DO schools.