Is this like a cancer doc smoking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decepticon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have these recurring thoughts of getting the bike licence b4 I am graduating. But the irony- becoming a neurologist, and maybe ending my days in persistent vegetative state after losing it in a corner. Anybody who can talk me out of hopping on a donor cycle? I have been looking at these videos of gost rider on youtube, I watch motogp regularly and it just seems so cool. Crazy, but cool. This could be me cruising through Europe on a holiday in a few years: http://video.vol.at/recent/members.volredaktion/motorrad-raser.avi/viewer.html

I'd probably better keep this a secret when applying.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a motorcycle as a medical student, I might get another one when I am a fellow.

The neurology equivalent of a cancer doc smoking is eating a beef brain burrito at the taqueria a few blocks from general hospital where I am working this month. I've never been able to bring myself to try it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have these recurring thoughts of getting the bike licence b4 I am graduating. But the irony- becoming a neurologist, and maybe ending my days in persistent vegetative state after losing it in a corner. Anybody who can talk me out of hopping on a donor cycle? I have been looking at these videos of gost rider on youtube, I watch motogp regularly and it just seems so cool. Crazy, but cool. This could be me cruising through Europe on a holiday in a few years: http://video.vol.at/recent/members.volredaktion/motorrad-raser.avi/viewer.html

I'd probably better keep this a secret when applying.

For what it is worth, I was involved in a trauma study as a medical student regarding the mechanism of injury for motorcycle crashes. My job as a medical student was to filter through the charts of the patients that came into the trauma bay secondary to motorcycle accidents and apply some sort of trauma scales to the injuries.

This might surprise you, but the patients that obtained the highest scores ironically were doing somethings stupid at the time of their crash: driving at a high speed, thinking they were special because they drive a motorcycle so they could just run down the shoulder in a traffic jam (too bad on occassion something like a sudden opening of a car door would stop them in their tracks), tailgated a person that suddenly braked, being intoxicated, performing stunts, not wearing a helmet, etc. etc. you get the idea.

Of course there are those things that you can't avoid such as hitting wildlife that cross the street unexpectantly, other people hitting you, etc. There is no doubt that in those situations you will get hurt pretty bad.

Look, my opinion is this, its all about safety safety and safety. Be safe! Don't be a *****, drive faster than you need, go down the shoulder in a traffic jam, tailgate people, show off, and please wear a helmet! Do that and you significantly reduce your risks

Getting past traffic jams is a huge part of the deal. Are drivers specifically targeting motorcycle drivers as "revenge" for not being stuck in a jam?

Getting past traffic jams is a huge part of the deal. Are drivers specifically targeting motorcycle drivers as "revenge" for not being stuck in a jam?

You do realize that weeving through a traffic jam is not only *****ic, it's illegal?

Spend a month on inpt rehab in the late summer and your likelihood of riding a motorcycle will go way down. But we did have a rehab resident who not only rode, he rode sans helmet. I told he might as well smoke, the motorcycle was going to kill him sooner.

I love watching videos of idiots on motorcycles, skateboards, bikes, etc. I see some of them now for outpt rehab, pain management, EMG's. I currently have a girl who is a left BKA when her bike, being driven by her BF, was hit from the left side as her tried to run a red light. I treat several paraplegics from motorcycles right now. I've had brain injured pts from motocycles, but don't see many right now, because I don't really want to.

Last time I was in the ER, rad tech said come check this out - peaked around the corner, most of a guy's face ripped off from hitting the pavement without a helmet.

Human stupidity, if nothing else, will continue to pay my bills...