Is this possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have a situation that has come up, and it would be very benefitial for me to be close to home during residency. The program I matched so is far from home, so I'm wondering how likely it is that I would be able to switch programs with someone else? How difficult woudl this be and how would it work?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that the odds of you successfully pulling that off would be close to zero. The odds of you starting your residency on the wrong foot, however, would be much higher. My advice would be to honor the commitment of the match and hope a similar situation arises after you've begun your residency, when transferring is much more feasible.

I would say that the odds of you successfully pulling that off would be close to zero. The odds of you starting your residency on the wrong foot, however, would be much higher. My advice would be to honor the commitment of the match and hope a similar situation arises after you've begun your residency, when transferring is much more feasible.

So you think it's more feasible to transfer during residency? Wouldn't that kind of piss off PDs? I certainly don't want to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Much more feasible and, in my opinion, much less apt to "piss off" your PD. If you try to bail on your match commitment, not only does that look bad, it also sets you up for potential sanctions/punishment from the match people.

That being said, if its a choice between being close to family during a critical time or going away to residency, I would see if you could instead delay the start of your residency until your personal situation resolves.

Much more feasible and, in my opinion, much less apt to "piss off" your PD. If you try to bail on your match commitment, not only does that look bad, it also sets you up for potential sanctions/punishment from the match people.

That being said, if its a choice between being close to family during a critical time or going away to residency, I would see if you could instead delay the start of your residency until your personal situation resolves.

What do you mean by delay? I dont think that my spot woud be held by the program and there is no way I could re apply for rad onc, that would be a nightmare. This kinda bites.

I mean contacting your PD to explain your situation and see if you can start your residency at a later date... e.g. January, or the following academic year. This could potentially be arranged without losing your spot, although it would require some work on your program's end.

Good luck.