Is this the grading scale med schools use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFGatorMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.imgi.net/calyourgpa.html

I am a little surprised...

At UF there are no A-/A+ its either an A, B, C, D, or F...
How does it carry over to the AMCAS or any med school for that matter (I now see that they might all have their own way of recalculating your GPA).

It puzzles me.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS calculation depends on your school's grading system.

If there are no +/-, then simply A=4, B=3, C=2,...

AMCAS also reports GPA for each academic year, and separate science (bio/chem/physics/math) and non-science GPA.

How a med school adcom chooses to use or manipulate these GPAs is up to them, and they probably won't tell you what they do.

A=4.0, B=3.0, etc.

This is how my UG calculates it also, it is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I have had a few 89s which correlate to a 3.0, but I have also had a few 92ish's, so i guess they equal out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from UF you'll be fine. Don't worry. Your AMCAS GPA will be the same, if not slightly higher, as your current UG GPA. And I agree with the above posts.

Good luck :luck:

http://www.imgi.net/calyourgpa.html

I am a little surprised...

At UF there are no A-/A+ its either an A, B, C, D, or F...
How does it carry over to the AMCAS or any med school for that matter (I now see that they might all have their own way of recalculating your GPA).

It puzzles me.:confused:

AMCAS calculates any + grad as .3 higher then the non plus grade, i.e. 3.3 for B+ instead of 3.33

For - grades it would be .7 rather then .67 i.e. A- = 3.7

As for med school itself, the grading scale is dependent on the individual chools. Some schools do not have a letter grading system and use a pass of fail policy like the Yale System which is the most famous of those types. There are other schools that do that as well.

At my university, we have the same professors in grad school as the med students and I believe our scale is similar.

Our scale is 92 is the lowest A, A- = 89-90, B+ is like 87-89, 84-86 is B and 83-80 is B-.

79-77 or 78 is C+ and so forth. you get the picture.

I think the med students also have this honor pass, high pass, pass system based on how their letter grade looks.