Is this update unique and interesting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the themes in my application is the amount of blue collar work I've done over the years and the education I've received in the trades, specifically HV/AC (Don't worry, I link it to healthcare nicely). Recently, I've been hired as a consultant for a company that specializes in making boilers that are far cleaner and more efficient that what is around today. I got this position because I have both practical knowledge of boilers and a BS in Biochemistry.

Mainly, my job is a combination of liaison and researcher. The liaison part of my job translating between the trades guys and the chemists (Mass Spec means very different things to each group). The research portion of my responsibilities involves combining my knowledge of chemistry with my knowledge of boilers to make them more efficient and clean.

Would this update (sent in at the appropriate time along with a portion about my interest) be seen as interesting, unique and substantial?

Members don't see this ad.

Receiving a new job is worthy of an application update. I also encourage sending at least a single update to each school along with notes about certain things about the school you like. Keep it concise and descriptive. While certainly not required, these things are pretty low risk-high reward. The low risk being doing something silly (writing wrong school name, saying something offensive, sending to a school which doesn't accept updates) and high reward being that the topic gives you additional consideration and talking points that you are passionate about come interview time as well as showing the admissions committee that you continue to express particular interest in them.

Not really unique or particularly interesting, but certainly substantial I'd say. If nothing else it gives you an opportunity to demonstrate that you have continued interest in the schools you've applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess ADCOMs have seen pretty much everything then huh? I thought a job that combines two entirely different professions would be unique. At least it's worth mentioning!

No.

One of the themes in my application is the amount of blue collar work I've done over the years and the education I've received in the trades, specifically HV/AC (Don't worry, I link it to healthcare nicely). Recently, I've been hired as a consultant for a company that specializes in making boilers that are far cleaner and more efficient that what is around today. I got this position because I have both practical knowledge of boilers and a BS in Biochemistry.

Mainly, my job is a combination of liaison and researcher. The liaison part of my job translating between the trades guys and the chemists (Mass Spec means very different things to each group). The research portion of my responsibilities involves combining my knowledge of chemistry with my knowledge of boilers to make them more efficient and clean.

Would this update (sent in at the appropriate time along with a portion about my interest) be seen as interesting, unique and substantial?

Reactions: 1 user