Is Too Many Degrees a Bad Thing and Recommendation for an All-in-one School (while in the Military)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nmlvaio101

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening and happy holidays,

I have two unique questions that I am looking for some honest answers.

Bottom line up front (BLUF): In today’s world, is having too many degrees harmful? And, is there a university that offers all the prerequisites that are easy to achieve (in the sense of online with no face to face correspondence)?

Background,

I am currently serving in the Army in which I cannot get out and pursue a DVM until my commitment is satisfied. As such, I have three (3) years left. In addition, my Bachelors in Environmental Biology is passing the five (5) year mark. Thus, I need to retake all my prerequisite classes again to be current, relevant in order to be competitive in the selection process.

As per my first question, I am currently finishing a Master’s in Public Administration with a concentration in Public Health Administration. However, I have the opportunity to finish two (2) associates’ degrees (Military Operations and Emergency Management) as I have completed most of the requirements while serving in the military. In the near future, I have an opportunity to acquire another Master's degree in Business and Organizational Security Management. Although these degrees are non-science, do you think it’s worth pursing? Some people may say it is too diverse and away from the science related field of study and/or I do not know what I really want to do hence the diversity of degrees.

As per my second question, do you have any recommendations as to an all-in-one school that offers all the prerequisite via online? In the end, I was hoping to find a tangible degree that satisfy all the mandatory requirement in which I can get another science related degree.

In the end, I am just pondering the plausibility as they do required time and money.

Thank you for the assist.

V/R

Graham.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Bottom line up front (BLUF): In today’s world, is having too many degrees harmful? And, is there a university that offers all the prerequisites that are easy to achieve (in the sense of online with no face to face correspondence)?

Background,

I am currently serving in the Army in which I cannot get out and pursue a DVM until my commitment is satisfied. As such, I have three (3) years left. In addition, my Bachelors in Environmental Biology is passing the five (5) year mark. Thus, I need to retake all my prerequisite classes again to be current, relevant in order to be competitive in the selection process.

As per my first question, I am currently finishing a Master’s in Public Administration with a concentration in Public Health Administration. However, I have the opportunity to finish two (2) associates’ degrees (Military Operations and Emergency Management) as I have completed most of the requirements while serving in the military. In the near future, I have an opportunity to acquire another Master's degree in Business and Organizational Security Management. Although these degrees are non-science, do you think it’s worth pursing? Some people may say it is too diverse and away from the science related field of study and/or I do not know what I really want to do hence the diversity of degrees.

As per my second question, do you have any recommendations as to an all-in-one school that offers all the prerequisite via online? In the end, I was hoping to find a tangible degree that satisfy all the mandatory requirement in which I can get another science related degree.

In the end, I am just pondering the plausibility as they do required time and money.

V/R

Graham.
Hello there!

In my opinion, you can apply to vet school with any major/degree, as long as you get the pre-reqs in. I don't think they will see it as a disadvantage (in fact it could make you really interesting), as long as you are able to successfully answer the questions "So why veterinarian instead of something related to your many other degrees?/How do we know you want to be in this career?"

As for the second question, that can be a little tricky because: 1) Some labs you simply can't do online and 2) Some schools request you do not complete a large amount of your education online, such as your advanced science courses. I'm sure you could do quite a bit online, though I would contact the vet school you are interested in and see what their policies are.

Reactions: 1 user

Background,

V/R

Graham.
Check school requirements and apply carefully. Some schools don’t care how old your prerequisites are. I know Oregon State is one, I was accepted with some prereqs that were 12 years old. I’m not sure about others, but there may be more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Nmlvaio101 for what it's worth, my pre-requisites were >12 years old and I got in on my first try - I don't think you need to re-take all your pre-reqs unless the school you are most interested in has a expiration date for coursework. Even then, I would contact the school and ask them about the policy before spending the time and money to re-take all your coursework. The school I applied to had a 10 year rule, but they allowed me to apply because of the work I had been doing since undergrad. I don't think the age of your coursework is a large enough determinant in your relevance/being competitive to justify re-taking all your coursework - assuming you have other things going for you on your app (which it sounds like you do).

Edit: Jinx on 12 years @cowgirl92 , haha!

Reactions: 1 users

Background,

V/R

Graham.

This is from Ohio State's website:

Ten Year Course Work Rule – If any science prerequisites are older than ten years, the applicant must either report course work in that specific area or submit convincing evidence of current mastery in the appropriate science to the Admissions Committee. The applicant must prove they have current experience to show they have maintained knowledge in the field.

@Nmlvaio101 for what it's worth, my pre-requisites were >12 years old and I got in on my first try - I don't think you need to re-take all your pre-reqs unless the school you are most interested in has a expiration date for coursework. Even then, I would contact the school and ask them about the policy before spending the time and money to re-take all your coursework. The school I applied to had a 10 year rule, but they allowed me to apply because of the work I had been doing since undergrad. I don't think the age of your coursework is a large enough determinant in your relevance/being competitive to justify re-taking all your coursework - assuming you have other things going for you on your app (which it sounds like you do).

Edit: Jinx on 12 years @cowgirl92 , haha!
That's awesome!

Background,

Just speaking to this point, my prerequisites including science, were all over 8 years ago except 3 classes which I am currently fulfilling. I just was accepted to MSU. I spoke with admissions prior to application to confirm they would still honor them, so I suggest you talk with specific schools to find out whether you really need to retake them.

Edit: apparently everyone said this lol

Also, look into schools that will let veterans receive in state status (unless you're planning on using your GI Bill, in which I believe the schools are only allowed to charge you in state rates )

Michigan State let me switch to In state when I was accepted, and it's why I chose here in stead of other schools that I was accepted to that didn't offer the same switch.