Is waiting another year worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeFlinstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 with a BS in Finance, c3.78 GPA and am currently taking science prerequisite courses.

I will be finished with these courses only in time to take the MCAT in its last testing cycle in Sept. This would make me a late applicant at 28. Would it be worth it to apply in the next application year when I am 29, but able to get my application in on the first day?

Is losing a year worth it to get your application in on the first day?

Members don't see this ad.

Is losing a year worth it to get your application in on the first day?
Other than the minor cost, there's not really a disadvantage to applying now, in my opinion. That's why med schools do rolling admissions. If you don't make it your first cycle, just apply when you were going to next year, anyway.

I was a late applicant during this cycle. While I can see some advantages to being complete early on, as long as you meet the deadline, you're in the running. I wasn't complete at one school until Oct 18, and they scheduled me for an interview on Nov 20th, ahead of others who were complete before me. So I would say more weight is given to the strength of your application than when it's complete.

That brings up another point. If you'll be done with classes "only in time" for the MCAT, do you feel you'll be fully prepared to take the test? If you feel solid about the test, then go for it. If you don't, then that is another factor to consider for taking an extra year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks very much for the insight. Here is my plan for the MCAT during my class schedule. I want to highlight all the concepts the MCAT covers while I am actually taking the classes so I can aggressively study those materials more than the class would require. I have saved up money from my old job so I can focus on classes and MCAT prep solely. (along with volunteering and shadowing)

Here's my plan so far:

Summer School 2011: Chem1 & Study EK Verbal and 101

Fall 2011: Chem2, Bio1, Phys1 & Continue to study verbal problems, and venture into GRE or LSAT or GMAT tests if I run out of verbal problems for MCAT. I think verbal requires more time to get good rather than specific knowledge, so I will start early.

Spring 2012: Orgo, Bio2, Phys2, Start working on Chem and Physics problems in EK, Kaplan or PR

Summer 2012: Orgo 2, work on Bio and Orgo MCAT problems in EK, Kaplan or PR .

Here I would have about 1.5 months to review all my MCAT materials before the Test.

Sept: MCAT

Does that sound like a smart way to work on the MCAT once the classes have covered it??

Does that sound like a smart way to work on the MCAT once the classes have covered it??

It all depends on how much time each day you can commit to classes and test prep, how focused you can remain, and how well you assimilate material and take tests. I had finished all of my relevant undergrad courses 5+ years before I took the MCAT, so I signed up for a full review course. I spent at least 8 hours a day on review for three months before the test (I was also unemployed at the time, so I had little else to do), and did quite well. So, if you have just competed the courses, understood the material, and had some test prep ongoing throughout the time period, I suspect 1.5 months of all out test prep would probably leave you in a decent position for the test.

I think you have a very appropriate approach to the verbal section. I wish I had done the same, as critical reading is a slowly acquired skill. Stay on top of that

One more word of advice, not to get all grandfatherly on you, but why rush through this one year? Remember that once you get started down this path, you'll have little time to pursue other interests for the better part of a decade. Frankly, I've had my time to "follow my bliss" and I'm ready to commit, so if you're there too, then more power to you. But it won't be the end of the world to have that extra year of other experiences before you start, and may make you a stronger applicant as well. Don't stress yourself out too much.

Be well.:luck:

It all depends on how much time each day you can commit to classes and test prep, how focused you can remain, and how well you assimilate material and take tests. I had finished all of my relevant undergrad courses 5+ years before I took the MCAT, so I signed up for a full review course. I spent at least 8 hours a day on review for three months before the test (I was also unemployed at the time, so I had little else to do), and did quite well. So, if you have just competed the courses, understood the material, and had some test prep ongoing throughout the time period, I suspect 1.5 months of all out test prep would probably leave you in a decent position for the test.

I think you have a very appropriate approach to the verbal section. I wish I had done the same, as critical reading is a slowly acquired skill. Stay on top of that

One more word of advice, not to get all grandfatherly on you, but why rush through this one year? Remember that once you get started down this path, you'll have little time to pursue other interests for the better part of a decade. Frankly, I've had my time to "follow my bliss" and I'm ready to commit, so if you're there too, then more power to you. But it won't be the end of the world to have that extra year of other experiences before you start, and may make you a stronger applicant as well. Don't stress yourself out too much.

Be well.:luck:

I agree. I waited and applied when I was 26. But I did it when I felt I was ready. I didn't want to waste another year of my life either, because I didn't have to and I applied pretty late/earlish. But, your plan sounds great and when you work hard and stick to it, you will be in great shape!:thumbup:

i recently had the same decision as you facing me about this application cycle but in the end i've decided to just take the extra year because i dont want to run the risk of messing anything up because i was rushed. also, people do get it in after applying a little late but i would still caution against it. it does get more competitive as time goes on and from what i've seen, if you have a very strong app you are still likely to get in somewhere, although it might be a bit more stressful and could lower your number of interviews/acceptances. i think you should put off the final decision until the spring before you would take the test. your study schedule, while doable, seems intense to me. you have to first see if you can stick to your plan which might be difficult (maybe phys will take up more of your time than expected for example). with such a tough schedule you also might be burnt-out by the time the mcat rolls around. but if in the end you feel good enough to take the mcat, and your application is really good and your a braver person than i, go for it. but heed the advice of the above poster, no one wants to reapply if it can be avoided.

Thanks, I guess the pivot point here is if I am ready to take the MCAT in Sept as evidenced by high scores on the old tests. If not, then I can keep studying and be completely ready by the next cycle.

I think it also depends on where you want to go to school. I wanted in state... I should have applied 8 years ago! But I was worried about having everything just perfect--then life happened.

Do the best you can (I mean, make that best AWESOME), but just do it. And then apply. You might get in with everything almost great, but you definitely won't get in if you don't apply.

Of course you also have to weigh the costs of secondaries & interviews... (again, if you apply early, in-state EDP--not a problem) I think your plan about preliminary MCAT scores is a good idea. But I understand that early applications really help, too--so balance it. Good luck!