Ischemic, Hemorrhagic, lobar, hypertensive strokes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UW gives me a hard time and really confused me. How do you distinguish between different strokes based on course/ symptoms (headache, nausea/vomiting)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend probably just reading over UpToDate. Clinically, you can't tell whether someone has had an ischemic vs hemorrhagic stroke. That's why we have to non-contrast CT first (and especially if you are considering thrombolysis in the first 3-4.5 hrs).

Hypertension is the greatest risk factor for stroke, but we can't tell where a stroke is going to be just because a patient is hypertensive. Lacunar strokes are classically more specific for hypertension, rather than emboli. A lacunar stroke will usually present with an isolated deficit without cortical dysfunction (i.e. dysphasia, visual-spacial derangement).

Headache, nausea and vomiting are non-specific. The only time these really ring a bell for me is that if they mention morning vomiting, you'd think brain tumor.