Issues with Who's Who thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieinthesky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bone to pick with you, Mr. Gfunk...

It's been less than 24 hours since the match. I have not yet finished notifying friends and family of my good news, nor have i shaken my hangover from last night's celebration. Yet, I woke this morning to find the results of my match posted all over the internet.

I never informed you of the results of my match, nor did I give you permission to post them on a public forum. You must be hearing many of these things through the grapevine. I'm a private person and absolutely do not enjoy having my personal accomplishments strewn all over the internet, especially not so soon after I have received the news myself.

These forums ARE valuable to those applying to the field and I'm so happy that people are willing to divulge their stats and credentials. I ask you, however, to be more considerate in the future and realize that some of us are private people. All information posted here should be done on a voluntary basis only.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the big deal? When you start PGY-2 year your name is going to be in the ARRO directory and (here comes the shocker) people will know where you matched.
If you're that worried/concerned about it, there's medication you can take for that :)

:ninja:

I apologize if you were offended. Please understand that this is an open forum where anybody may post Match results. I frequently receive emails or PMs from MS-4's or residents who share results from either their school or residency program. There is no effort made (save from another user editing the list) the veracity of these results.

This has been a tradition on this forum for several years. Much of this information is publically available on the internet in any case. Of course, SDN severely frowns on publically revealing user's identites against their wishes and any attempts to do so are swiftly dealt with. However in this case, the information is quite anonymous as there are many, many people involved in the Match.

If you wish, please feel free to send me a PM and I will remove you from the results list.

I have a bone to pick with you, Mr. Gfunk...

It's been less than 24 hours since the match. I have not yet finished notifying friends and family of my good news, nor have i shaken my hangover from last night's celebration. Yet, I woke this morning to find the results of my match posted all over the internet.

I never informed you of the results of my match, nor did I give you permission to post them on a public forum. You must be hearing many of these things through the grapevine. I'm a private person and absolutely do not enjoy having my personal accomplishments strewn all over the internet, especially not so soon after I have received the news myself.

These forums ARE valuable to those applying to the field and I'm so happy that people are willing to divulge their stats and credentials. I ask you, however, to be more considerate in the future and realize that some of us are private people. All information posted here should be done on a voluntary basis only.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the big deal? When you start PGY-2 year your name is going to be in the ARRO directory and (here comes the shocker) people will know where you matched.
If you're that worried/concerned about it, there's medication you can take for that :)

:ninja:

Agreed. Chill out Pie', we're all friends here. ;)

It's not as if somebody said Pie got x on Step 1 and had y publications and interviewed at z places. Who cares? Like Shogun perfectly stated, you are joining a big, happy family of RadOnc physicians and your identity (with your actual name) will be made public in about 16 months.

I personally think that all of us who matched should be very grateful and realize how blessed we are to be joining this field. Cheers.

"Like Shogun perfectly stated, you are joining a big, happy family of RadOnc physicians and your identity (with your actual name) will be made public in about 16 months."

Sure, it's fine for it to be made public in 16 months, but why less than 12 hours after we matched? Of course I knew that people would be well aware of where we matched (NRMP even releases this info to program directors next week), but posting it so soon after the match seems ridiculous. Like I said, I haven't even had a chance to tell my own family and friends yet.

And who ever said I was ungrateful? Quite the contrary...

Well, I'm sorry for my part - I posted my school's info pretty quick. For future years, how long after the match should we wait?

Did somebody pee in your pie before hucking it in the sky? I don't understand how somebody who just scored the best news of their life can can be so grumpy :confused:

I still have no idea who Pie is, or where he matched. So, your privacy is still intact, I think...

If someone can recognize you from just the school you went to and your degree, then that person knows you pretty well. In fact, if Gfunk removes your info from the match results list, then you run a bigger risk of identifying yourself... not that there is anything wrong with it.

In fairness, we should all be careful not to post someone else's info without asking first, but it's really not that big a deal. I hope you agree.

I seriously doubt Pie's friends and family are trolling the Student Doctor website to figure out where he/she matched.

"Like Shogun perfectly stated, you are joining a big, happy family of RadOnc physicians and your identity (with your actual name) will be made public in about 16 months."

Sure, it's fine for it to be made public in 16 months, but why less than 12 hours after we matched? Of course I knew that people would be well aware of where we matched (NRMP even releases this info to program directors next week), but posting it so soon after the match seems ridiculous. Like I said, I haven't even had a chance to tell my own family and friends yet.

And who ever said I was ungrateful? Quite the contrary...

God...I hope you didn't match into my program. You're one uptight *****.

And, Pie, you've had 48 hrs. Tell your d*mn "family and friends" already.

Post away, people.

If we really want to make this thread useful to future applicants, rather than just an interesting thread to see where people ended up (which is fine too), I think that including things who took time off during med school would be valuable. It seemed like at the research oriented programs, the vast majority of M.D. only candidates actually had taken one or more years off during or before medical school for research, MBA, MPH, M.S., law degrees, etc. Although my experience was probably somewhat biased by where I interviewed, this seems to be an increasingly common trend.

The M.D. label thus represents a very diverse group. I guess the argument against this (other than the privacy argument) is that, in typical SDN fashion, it could make people freak out and feel like they HAVE to take a year off to match well in rad onc (which I don't think is completely true).

Just throwing it out there.

If we really want to make this thread useful to future applicants, rather than just an interesting thread to see where people ended up (which is fine too), I think that including things who took time off during med school would be valuable. It seemed like at the research oriented programs, the vast majority of M.D. only candidates actually had taken one or more years off during or before medical school for research, MBA, MPH, M.S., law degrees, etc. Although my experience was probably somewhat biased by where I interviewed, this seems to be an increasingly common trend.

The M.D. label thus represents a very diverse group. I guess the argument against this (other than the privacy argument) is that, in typical SDN fashion, it could make people freak out and feel like they HAVE to take a year off to match well in rad onc (which I don't think is completely true).

Just throwing it out there.

We already include the additional degrees, if applicable. I do agree that it would be helpful to list additional time off for research.

Sorry but I believe this thread has run its course and I'm closing . . .

I think that including things who took time off during med school would be valuable.

Good idea in principle, but in the past people have vehemently objected to ANY info being placed in the who's who thread other than simple degree and graduating institution. The problem is we have no idea who's contributing and some people (as the OP demonstrates) don't appreciate others sharing their information.

Hopefully if people contribute to the match statistics thread, you will get even more info than you are asking for.

Also, back by popular request is the new impressions account.

Username: radanon
Password: password

Please use only for posting in who's who, interview impressions, rad onc rankings, and match statistics threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.