ISTDP vs TLDP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ee2k3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know details differentiating Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy from Time Limited Dynamic Psychotherapy?

Members don't see this ad.

The ISTDP I trained in was attachment-based, with focus on repairing the early attachment trauma to reduce maladaptive defensive strategies. I am not sure that is specific to time-limited dynamic psychotherapy. Am pretty ignorant about that though.

I just came here to see what the letters meant. Couldn't find them on urban dictionary.

Members don't see this ad :)
well to be tongue in cheek one was developed by psychiatrists (ISTDP) and the other by psychologists (TLDP). Both are attachment-based therapies that are more focused and goal-oriented than traditional dynamic treatment. Again to be tongue-in-cheek ISTDP is more intense, but it is. Patient may have longer sessions than 50 minutes or have several sessions in a week and may be encouraged to listen to tapes of sessions if meeting less frequently. Also watch the videos it is pretty intense in terms of focus on affects and a highly confrontational therapy. It is usually short term whereas in TLDP it is not uncommon for people to be in treatment for a year or longer (that's still time-limited for a dynamic therapy!) The former is shamelessly psychodynamic in nature, the latter integrates approaches from interpersonal and cognitive-behaviroal therapies as well. TLDP also focuses more on current interpersonal relations and patterns of relating and their impact on current distress. It also involves monitoring progress in a way more reminiscent of CBT than dynamic therapies.

You can read more about TLDP here:http://www.hannalevenson.com/jpi1.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
N of 1 but TLDP as I was taught was about 12-18 sessions. If you're doing it for years, it's pretty much plain old psychodynamic therapy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk