ITE exam score and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there information for average scores for the respective fellowships? I imagine programs look more at percentile (ie someone who scores a 35 as a CA1 is much higher than someone who scores the same as a CA2). How much does this weigh into fellowship selection?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is the most overlooked aspect of a solid fellowship application. CA1 score important for early applications e.g cardiac interviews, CA2 important for cardiac rank list, peds, and pain

A number of programs contacted me prior to making their rank list. And I feel a solid ITE score was essential in securing a top spot.

What was a good score if you don't mind me asking? Or what's a good percentile rank since scores mean different things depending on your year. What are some numbers for average applicant who ranked, or for 'top' positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was a good score if you don't mind me asking? Or what's a good percentile rank since scores mean different things depending on your year. What are some numbers for average applicant who ranked, or for 'top' positions?

One of the older threads here has an attached file with ITE table.

I think as a CA1 above 30 ideally closer to 35 is a solid score, as a CA 2 36-38+.

CA3 scores aren't as important for fellowship, but play an important role in building confidence for the actual written. I was within a couple of percentage points of CA3-ITE and took almost 3 months off after the in service

Hey thanks I've seen the ITE table, I guess what I'm looking for is scores for specific specialities. Similar to residency scores they have for different specialities. I know I'll only find anecdotes on here but they can be helpful

I'd love to see that data if it's been released by anyone, but I don't think it has.

Maybe now that there's a CT anesthesia match, and positions are getting sort of competitive, they'll someday get around to publishing outcome data.

SDN anecdotes tend to be ... skewed. I don't know if I'd let such anecdotes influence where I did or didn't apply. Get the best scores you can, and apply where you'd like to go.

"I think this is the most overlooked aspect of a solid fellowship application. "

Not so, based on my personal experience and my colleagues. If you're gunning for those top programs, a great ITE score (>90th percentile) is crucial.

Last edited:
I would love to know the answer to this... It seems like some fellowships don't even ask for your ITE score (e.g. Pain) but they want your USMLE scores, which seem outdated and irrelevant to me. I hope fellowships consider the ITE score, and that higher is better in a meaningful way on the application. It's the highlight of my otherwise average application lol.

Most over rated portion. As long as you are above 50th percentile you will be looked at.

Does not matter 'top' program or not.

Getting below 50th percentile may cause some issues but still should be OK.

Below 30th then it will turn into an issue.

Most over rated portion. As long as you are above 50th percentile you will be looked at.

Does not matter 'top' program or not.

Getting below 50th percentile may cause some issues but still should be OK.

Below 30th then it will turn into an issue.
Are you just making this up, or do you have a reliable source of information you'd like to share?