ITE preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Over my 3 years I have tried a lot of different books to prepare for the ITE: Baby Miller, Faust, Big Blue, Hall, the old exams from the 1990's on the ASA website, ACE questions, Dershwitz, Co-existing Disease, Lange, etc.

I did so well this year that no one would believe me if I posted my score.

I suggest a simple approach:

1. Throughout residency, read a lot. The correlation between time spent reading and ITE scores is well-known. What you choose doesn't matter so much, just read with a goal of learning something new every day. I like Big Miller but many people don't and I think the alternatives are also good.

2. When the ITE approaches, spend some time with Baby Miller and do as many ACE questions as you can find. If you still have some spare time, I would choose the old 1990-1996 ITE exams, but this is just gravy. I think less highly of Hall and Faust with each passing year, Big Blue is so-so but not worth the cost, and everything else is simply not useful for ITE prep.

Bump, curious to hear how people are preparing this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The right way to prepare doesn't vary year to year. Do questions until you can't find any more questions to do. The ones you miss, read up on. There are only so many things one can ask about anesthesia without going way off the rails into research trivia or being unfair.

Agree-exhausted, it's unbelievable how much we have to know-not complaining or saying we shouldn't have to, just so much to get through

Bump. Any resources being considered more high yield compared to previous years for those that have done well?

Bump. Any resources being considered more high yield compared to previous years for those that have done well?
ACCRAC podcast. UK YouTube. Truelearn. Real life. That's it.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the important is to take the time to highlight and make notes in whatever source you choose, preferably electronically for ease of access. Most people don't remember what they read the first time through. Revising stuff with notes is much faster the second, third, and fourth time around. For me it's been Barash. Morgan and Mikhail lacked specifics for implementation, and Miller was often a bit too much detail, but supplemented other sources' weak areas well.

I'm one of the minority it seems like that still supports picking a book over questions as your primary source. You'll learn the material in a more systematic way, making it easier to remember. Also, you'll be more prepared for questions, missing fewer, and therefore remembering the ones you miss better. You won't have to spend as much time doing the questions. If you understood a question fully, don't bother reading the explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the important is to take the time to highlight and make notes in whatever source you choose, preferably electronically for ease of access. Most people don't remember what they read the first time through. Revising stuff with notes is much faster the second, third, and fourth time around. For me it's been Barash. Morgan and Mikhail lacked specifics for implementation, and Miller was often a bit too much detail, but supplemented other sources' weak areas well.

I'm one of the minority it seems like that still supports picking a book over questions as your primary source. You'll learn the material in a more systematic way, making it easier to remember. Also, you'll be more prepared for questions, missing fewer, and therefore remembering the ones you miss better. You won't have to spend as much time doing the questions. If you understood a question fully, don't bother reading the explanation.
I'm all for reading. I'm slowly working my way through big Barash. I learn a great deal from it. The poster asked about high yield! I can say in the several hundred pages I've read of big Barash, it's probably only earned me a single question in the ITE (see, line isolation monitors). I love it for what it is, but it is NOT a high yield reference for ITE.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm all for reading. I'm slowly working my way through big Barash. I learn a great deal from it. The poster asked about high yield! I can say in the several hundred pages I've read of big Barash, it's probably only earned me a single question in the ITE (see, line isolation monitors). I love it for what it is, but it is NOT a high yield reference for ITE.

True. I guess I was just recommending what I thought to be the best way. The most high-yield is TrueLearn questions, but I don't think anybody is going to be scoring a 50 just from questions.