Ithaca College OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member0527

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else accepted for the program starting in May or know anything about the OT program/Ithaca itself?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about IC, but I did look into their program for undergraduate so I know a little, and I am currently at Cornell so I can tell you a little bit about Ithaca.

Ithaca is a lovely town. It is gorges (get used to that joke if you plan on going). It is a bit of middle of nowhere, and is a of a pain to travel to/from, and you have to be okay with driving to Syracuse for certain things. Everyone that I have met from Ithaca is really nice, but you have to be okay with being in a small town. The people are liberal and hippyish, and there are a lot of cool small shops and eating places (Ithaca has more restaurants per capita than NYC).

I have absolutely loved my time in Ithaca and would recommend the location.

As far as IC's OT program, I have heard great things about it. Are you applying for the 5 year program? If so, it seems like a great program. As I said, I don't know the details, but they do have a good reputation.

If you already have your bachelors and are considering going to IC for your masters, something to keep in mind is that their program is primarily a 5 year combined masters-bachelors program, and they have just started accepting people for masters-only and there are likely to still be some kinks in figuring out how to make that work. You would be taking classes with the undergraduates, who are likely moving through the OT classes together, and I do not know how many students would enter as master students.

Hi DiggaDigga,

Thanks for your reply. I already have my bachelor's, so I applied/was accepted to the entry-level master's. I was told they have about 40 students overall and about 10 of them are masters-only. That is a good thing to keep in mind, though. What you say about Ithaca itself is pretty consistent with what I have heard so far from friends who have visited but it's always good to hear from someone who has spent more than a weekend there!

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Ithaca College yet? I know they do interviews but I haven't heard a peep from them in a while...

Their deadline isn't until Feb 15th, so I'd imagine we'll hear something after that :)

I received an email about pre-req forms and then confirming they had all my application materials. Today they asked for a course description for one of my classes. No interview invitation yet, but they must still be reviewing based on the request today. Good Luck! I heard they have a very very small class?

Just got a phone call for an interview but will be declining as I was accepted at my top choice :)

Now I keep looking at my phone. I can't handle this! Still waiting on responses from FIVE schools. :wideyed:

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody had an interview yet? I'm wondering what questions they ask.

Just got a phone call for an interview but will be declining as I was accepted at my top choice :)

I got a call this morning for an interview! I'm doing a phone interview next Tuesday.

Does anyone know how many master's only students they admit? I saw a post from last year saying they only admit 10, hopefully that number has increased!

Their website was updated to say this cycle they will be accepting 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many interviews they do? I had my phone interview last Thursday and they said I should hear back within 2 weeks. I know they had interviews all last week and will be finished Tuesday (tomorrow).

I wonder how many interviews they do? I had my phone interview last Thursday and they said I should hear back within 2 weeks. I know they had interviews all last week and will be finished Tuesday (tomorrow).

How was your phone interview? What types of questions do they ask? I have mine tomorrow and plan on asking them how many applicants they are interviewing, so I will let you know! Is Ithaca your first choice?

I live in chicago so my first choice was Rush, but I didn't get in :( where are you applying?

The interview was very relaxed. They only asked 4 questions and 3 about the assistantship (if you applied for it). It was on a conference call with 2 people. The questions that I can remember are, "Why OT and why now?" "What would your friends say about you?" And "How would you explain to somebody what an OT does?" For the assistantship they asked why I think I am qualified for it, if I have any teaching experience, and tell them about a time I experienced a conflict and how I overcame it.

Good luck tomorrow! It was pretty short and both interviewers were so incredibly nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in chicago so my first choice was Rush, but I didn't get in :( where are you applying?

The interview was very relaxed. They only asked 4 questions and 3 about the assistantship (if you applied for it). It was on a conference call with 2 people. The questions that I can remember are, "Why OT and why now?" "What would your friends say about you?" And "How would you explain to somebody what an OT does?" For the assistantship they asked why I think I am qualified for it, if I have any teaching experience, and tell them about a time I experienced a conflict and how I overcame it.

Good luck tomorrow! It was pretty short and both interviewers were so incredibly nice.

Thanks for letting me know! I had an interview back in February and assumed Ithaca would ask similar questions, but I wanted to make sure there aren't any surprises.

I'm sorry you didn't get into your first choice, programs are so competitive now. I'm currently living in Oregon so Pacific University is my top choice, and it's an OTD program so that's a huge plus. However, I grew up in Central NY and am familiar with Ithaca, so I wouldn't mind going there, I'm just hoping to get accepted somewhere! I also applied to Jefferson College of Health Science in Virginia, but they did not want to interview me.

I hope you get accepted!

I just had my interview. They are interviewing 15 applicants this year and accepting 10.

Ugh! I was hoping to hear back by the end of the week. :( I'm even more nervous now that I know they only interviewed 15 people.

I received an acceptance letter today, whoo!! Have you heard anything yet?

Congrats! Are you still waiting to hear from Pacific University or are you set on IC? I haven't heard anything yet. Did they E-mail or mail a letter to you? Hopefully tomorrow for me!

Thanks! I'm still waiting to hear from Pacific. They just finished interviews on Saturday so I should hear next week. Ithaca sent me a letter in the mail, and told me that's how they are sending all correspondences. Hope you hear good news!

I still haven't heard anythig! I am not feeling confident about being accepted right now...
Did you apply for the assistantship? The only thing I can think of is that the people who applied for an assistantship position have to wait on a decision to be made before the letter is sent? When is the deadline for you to send a deposit and secure your spot?

I still haven't heard anythig! I am not feeling confident about being accepted right now...
Did you apply for the assistantship? The only thing I can think of is that the people who applied for an assistantship position have to wait on a decision to be made before the letter is sent? When is the deadline for you to send a deposit and secure your spot?

The deadline to send a deposit is April 15th. I did not apply for an assistantship, but in my acceptance letter it says "If you applied for a graduate assistantship you will be notified by the program director after award decisions have been made." So you should be hearing back from them soon. I know when I interviewed they said to allow up to 2 weeks for a decision to be made.

Awesome! Congratulations, I'm so happy you got in! When will you be moving there? It's crazy that classes start in a month!

I know. I'll be moving about a week before classes start. How about you?