‘It’s Just Tough’: School Bus Driver Shortage A Problem For Districts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha12

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

“We’re short drivers. You’re trying everything you can to get people to come to work. They’re not coming to work,” Wagner said. “It’s just tough. I’ve never seen it before, very difficult. The worst conundrum.”

Lakeview has hard to miss signs posted all over its property hoping to entice people to get into the empty driver’s seats.

“You can’t even get them to come in the door for $25 an hour,” lamented Wager.

He’s also offering his current employees a $1,500 referral bonus. It’s a move similar to what other companies are doing across the country. The shortage is so extreme one Montana school district is offering a $4,000 bonus

Alternative career for pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

I would have zero desire to be a school bus driver - god forbid if you mess up and have an accident...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have zero desire to be a school bus driver - god forbid if you mess up and have an accident...

If Chris Farley taught us ONE thing...

chris farley users GIF

Reactions: 2 users
Can't you say the same about pharmacy? The likeliness of killing someone seems greater as a pharmacist.

Ugh dealing with a bus load of kids would require doubling my pay, not halving it. Factor in doing it at 6-7 AM? No thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point anything is better than being a pharmacist. Lol whenever I am out, I see employees in different field. I think to myself at least their employer is treating them better, they can eat lunch in peace or even use bathroom when they want. They also definitely don’t take **** from their customers or patients.

Can't you say the same about pharmacy? The likeliness of killing someone seems greater as a pharmacist.
I guess it all comes down to what you feel comfortable and have training in. I feel perfectly comfortable is any crazy crap that comes into my ed (sans kids). But I was talking to a buddy of mine that runs those big ass construction cranes. He jokeD how many people would die if we had to change jobs for a day.

That is “grass is greener” syndrome.

Yeah...if it's not your customers, it's probably your coworkers or your boss.

Everyone is just a cog in a machine until they either get rich or they die.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah...if it's not your customers, it's probably your coworkers or your boss.

Everyone is just a cog in a machine until they either get rich or they die.
I actually meant in the sense that anyone that deals with customers/the public has to deal with their nonsense (not just pharmacists), but you make a good point. If it ain’t customers, it’s someone else.

There is still a special circle of hell for dealing with customers though.

Reactions: 4 users
I actually meant in the sense that anyone that deals with customers/the public has to deal with their nonsense (not just pharmacists), but you make a good point. If it ain’t customers, it’s someone else.

There is still a special circle of hell for dealing with customers though.
I actually have worked as barista in high school and undergraduate days and I tell you customers were way nicer to me than they have been in pharmacy. I occasionally had bad customer here and there but I was definitely treated way nicer than in pharMacy.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually have worked as barista in high school and undergraduate days and I tell you customers were way nicer to me than they have been in pharmacy. I occasionally had bad customer here and there but I was definitely treated way nicer than in pharMacy.

Same. My first job in high school was at Burger King and people were generally nice. They are happy to get cheap, delicious food and drinks. Doesn't come close to the Karen's at the pharmacy.

Same. My first job in high school was at Burger King and people were generally nice. They are happy to get cheap, delicious food and drinks. Doesn't come close to the Karen's at the pharmacy.
I don't know. I worked at mcdonalds in high school and people use to get mad if someone forgot their pickles.

I am seeing lots of posts about travel nurse on tiktok and how they are making hella money right now. May be just another career alternative to pharmacy if anyone wants to pay off loans faster. Not for me though, no amount of money can convince me to work as nurse, pre or post covid. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
I am seeing lots of posts about travel nurse on tiktok and how they are making hella money right now. May be just another career alternative to pharmacy if anyone wants to pay off loans faster. Not for me though, no amount of money can convince me to work as nurse, pre or post covid. Lol

Travel nursing has always been great especially if you're young and single. Their flights and rent are paid for. Many stay at luxury apartments on the beach.

Travel nursing has always been great especially if you're young and single. Their flights and rent are paid for. Many stay at luxury apartments on the beach.
Damn that's nice. Do they get a per diem for the food as well?

Damn that's nice. Do they get a per diem for the food as well?

I'm not sure, wouldn't surprise me if they do.

If you're young and single, I recommend living in an apt complex where young travel nurses live. They like to go to the pool and hot tub a lot LoL.