IV NaCl 0.9% Techs how do u tell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolbna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to hospital pharmacy and I just started the omnicel rotation that techs perform. So if you're a hospital tech how did you distinguish the different IVs (e.g IV NaCl 0.45% or Iv Dex 5% NS..etc) I know it's on the label of the bag but I keep mixing them up! Is there a method or some system you guys used to become accustomed to these bags.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm new to hospital pharmacy and I just started the omnicel rotation that techs perform. So if you're a hospital tech how did you distinguish the different IVs (e.g IV NaCl 0.45% or Iv Dex 5% NS..etc) I know it's on the label of the bag but I keep mixing them up! Is there a method or some system you guys used to become accustomed to these bags.

thanks

How do you get them mixed up when the name is printed on the bag? I guess I'm confused by your question.

yea you just need to be careful and read the label.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get them mixed up when the name is printed on the bag? I guess I'm confused by your question.
t

Same here. It's not like you'll be able to look at the bag and instantly know what it is (except maybe for intralipids). These are salts and they dissolve without a color change. OP, just be careful with the bags and make sure to read whats on the label. Not sure what else to tell you.

Are you sure you are not a nursing student? :confused:

I kid, I kid! Yes you have to look at the label, that is why they are labeled. They are all colorless liquids and tasting them to be sure is discouraged. ;)

Last edited:
Is there a method or some system you guys used to become accustomed to these bags.

thanks
Never become accustomed to how something looks. That's how mistakes happen.

You just need to read the label. That's it.

Are you sure you are not a nursing student? :confused:

I kid, I kid! Yes you have to look at the label, that is why they are labeled. They are all colorless liquids and tasting them to be sure is discouraged. ;)

I lol'd

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk