I've already done poorly in my premed courses >_<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeFaith

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I only have organic chemistry left. To be honest, I'm worried that if I go any further, I'll just be wasting my time. The worst part is that I cant say that I completely slacked off. Maybe my studies could have been more rigorous but It almost feels like nothing I do can make up for the bad grades I've gotton in the sciences so far.

Biology I Lecture C
Biology I Lab C+
BiologyII Lecture C+
Biology II Lab C-
Chemistry I C+
Chemistry II B-
Physics I A
Physics II B
Calculus I B+
Calculus II B-

At this point my gpa is a 2.9 and I have 2 more years left. I don't know if the MD is a realistic goal...
It's hard because I was a straight A science student in High School. I don't understand what's going wrong. I was put under pressure to double up with Biology and Chem and it didn't work out.

Members don't see this ad.

We all do not have perfect records. I certainly do not, but I believe the American educational system allows for mistakes. What about retaking some of the lower grades to prove you can handle the coursework?

Hmmm. I can't say it's good. What year did you take all those classes? Were your C's during your freshman year "adjustment" period? If you did poorly your first year and brought it up your second year and then WAY up your junior year, there might be some chance for you. My premed advisor here has always told us that if we get Cs in any premed classes we can pretty much count ourselves out (bear in mind he also tells everyone it's a terrible idea to go to med school right after college, so it may be total bologna). You definitely have to work your ass off next year (and Orgo isn't an easy subject to master), and maybe you can somehow explain in your application any extraneous circumstances that caused you to do poorly. I wouldn't say give up, because there's no way you're going to get in if you don't try. I mean, the worst they can say is no and then you can move on from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, don't give up yet.
Revise your workload using your experience from the last two years, and give it all you've got.

If after one more semester you haven't returned to your high school streak then you may want to think it over.

give it one more shot.

Yea, don't give up. :oops: As long as you have the determination and you are willing to work hard, you can become a physician ;)

I took no science courses my freshman year and had a gpa of 3.3 by the time it ended. Instead, I took physics over the summer following my freshman year and doubled up with Biology lecture/lab and Chemistry my sophmore year. My advisor suggested I drop biology after doing poorly in both but I thought if I worked harder I could get through them.
I really don't want to repeat the courses again. It would be redundant for me. I was thinking of taking microbiology this upcoming semester but I don't want to try taking two sciences at the same time again. I also wanted to take Biochem my senior year and maybe anatomy/physiology at some point.

HopeFaith said:
I was thinking of taking microbiology this upcoming semester but I don't want to try taking two sciences at the same time again. I also wanted to take Biochem my senior year and maybe anatomy/physiology at some point.

Don't take this wrong, but if you can't see yourself doing well taking more than 1 biology/science course a semester, than how could you expect to do well in med school? That's 4-6 classes a semester atleast all in science, biology, anatomy, etc. If you weren't applying yourself than that's another issue, but it seems as though it just may not be happening for you.

I don't know...
I don't really want it to be game over yet. I feel dissapointed that 2 semesters of general chem and bio will mark the end of my premed career. But it really does feel like my being premed is really just a joke at this point. And I only make an issue out of doubling up because I'm not sure every successful premed student have to prove their potential by taking 2+ sciences courses per semester for undergrad.

HopeFaith said:
And I only have organic chemistry left. To be honest, I'm worried that if I go any further, I'll just be wasting my time. The worst part is that I cant say that I completely slacked off. Maybe my studies could have been more rigorous but It almost feels like nothing I do can make up for the bad grades I've gotton in the sciences so far. And I will be a junior next year. My school is competitive and I've heard that one can overcome 1 or 2 Cs. But try me:

Biology I Lecture C
Biology I Lab C+
BiologyII Lecture C+
Biology II Lab C-
Chemistry I C+
Chemistry II B-
Physics I A
Physics II B
Calculus I B+
Calculus II B-

At this point my gpa is a 2.9 and I have 2 more years left. I don't know if the MD is a realistic goal...
It's hard because I was a straight A science student in High School. I don't understand what's going wrong. I was put under pressure to double up with Biology and Chem and it didn't work out.

I'm certainly no expert in this field but in my opinion, I would have to agree with what the above posters have said....take some advance classes and get A's in all of them. Medical school admissions like to see improvement in grades as you progress from year to year, if you did not have stellar grades to start off with. Take classes like Genetics (with lab), Microbiology (with lab), Biochemistry (with lab), Cellular Biology (with lab), some advanced Chem classes. Work really hard and get A's in all of these and you can probably explain your way out of the C's in the basic prereq classes. Don't give up!! You can't do anything about your past but there is no limit in terms of what you can do now and in the future. Best of Luck!

I sent you a PM.

Ok I have a question allong this line.... I am about to start my soph. year and these are my premed grades:
Bio 111: B-
Bio 112: C
Chem 111: B

I really didn't study this past year and know I can do much better... do you think I still have a chance of getting into in state MUSC if I can pick it up from here? I know that C is going to not go over well. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I agree with a lot of what soundman said...I at least like the upward trend. If you could pull off some serious A's soon, that would be ideal. But, if you're having a lot of trouble with entry level science classes, remember that med school classes are most likely MUCH HARDER. There are really smart people that still have to study all the time to keep up with them. You should really consider if you want to put yourself through 4 more years of nothing but hard science classes. Keep on the premed track, it sounds like you're very determined for the right reasons. However, at least give yourself a safety net if things don't work out. Good luck!

:luck:

dreg-

I wouldn't sweat it, you certainly have a chance. If you're able to make some good grades and get your gpa 3.5 or above, do well on MCAT, and work/volunteer at hospital, I don't see too much of a problem. People have done much worse and came out all right. You still have a while to improve on any past mistakes.

VFrank said:
My premed advisor here has always told us that if we get Cs in any premed classes we can pretty much count ourselves out (bear in mind he also tells everyone it's a terrible idea to go to med school right after college, so it may be total bologna).

That's totally bogus. I got a C in Calculus 1C and a C+ in Bio 1B. I just totally slacked in those classes and it worked out all right in the end. A couple of C's won't kill you if everything else looks good.

bkmonkey- good to know

Dropped out here

Freshman:
Total: 31 hours, 2.62
BCPM: 15 hours, 3.09
Others: 16 hours, 2.18

Dropped out again here
-----------------------------------
I started getting counseling here

Sophomore:
Total: 30 hours, 3.23
BCPM: 15 hours, 2.78
Other: 15 hours, 3.68

Deleted all of my video games, started running, started waking up early here

Junior:
Total: 34 hours, 3.86
BCPM: 25 hours, 3.88
Other: 9 hours, 3.8

Started running regularly here

Senior:
Total: 32 hours, 4.0
BCPM: 25 hours, 4.0
Other: 7 hours, 4.0

I'd choose another career
OR
The typical science GPA and overal GPA are both about 3.5 for accepted applicants. So figure out how you're going to get to 3.5. I wouldn't apply with anything less.

HopeFaith said:
because I'm not sure every successful premed student have to prove their potential by taking 2+ sciences courses per semester for undergrad.
But med school is like 10 science courses at the same time. I tripled up on sciences for two semesters and got a 4.0 (gen chem 2, biology 1, and physics 1) and a 3.88 (organic 1, biology 2, and physics 2), so.....

Anyways, before getting depressed and giving up altogether, look at some of the other medical fields available that require those same courses you've taken - like being a pharmacist, physician's assistant, med tech (it'd be a clinical lab sciences major), etc.

TheProwler said:
Anyways, before getting depressed and giving up altogether, look at some of the other medical fields available that require those same courses you've taken - like being a pharmacist, physician's assistant, med tech (it'd be a clinical lab sciences major), etc.

I think it would be very difficult to get into PA school with those grades. You need to show improvement, and most of all that you can HANDLE the rigors of a medical program or PA school, etc. From your posts it seems as though you are unable. Now if you finish your bachelor's degree, and still decide you want to do medschool, you'll definitely need a post bac degree of some sort that you nail and do fairly well on to show adcoms you can do the work, that's what they want to see. If they can see you can do the rigorous work of med school then so be it, but as of now, you haven't shown it.

With all those C's you either have to retake or get a post-bacc to get into any MD school (and probably DO, too) at this point. There really isn't any other way. Med schools don't like C's, especially not in science.