I’ve had a rough preclinical year and didn’t get involved in anything. How do I build my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is 1 year preclinical followed by 3 years of clinical. Our summer break is 6 weeks long. Not an excuse, but I had to focus on a lot going on in my personal life, and I ended up just being a student. No clubs, no research, nothing. I’ve managed to still pass everything and I’m proud of that.

I feel like when it comes time to apply for residencies, I’ll be a failure. I’m not looking to go into dermatology or anything, but I don’t want to be severely hamstrung even for “easier” specialities to get into. I also don’t want to be severely limited where I can apply (I’d like to go to California for example, or stay in my home state).

I’m not sure what to do. Even if I started emailing professors right now (no clue who), I doubt I’ll have anything lined up for July that’ll get significant results in 6 weeks’ time.

If I start research my third year, will that be enough to at least “check a box”?

I have extensive research from undergrad and publications. I was an MSTP but decided I don’t want the PhD and I dropped the program (I loved research but my motivations were misplaced). I’m already feeling at a significant disadvantage because of it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have that kind of research experience already on the books, I wouldn't sweat that component of your application too much at this point. You can pick up a case report or some other garbage research project at some point and that component of your app will look fine.

If you want to join a few clubs just to fill in some blanks, go for it. It doesn't add much to the app, but it couldn't hurt.

Sounds like you took care of the most important thing first, passing your classes.

Reactions: 1 user
You have plenty of time. Most school with abbreviated preclinical time will have additional elective time available later. You also have time during easier rotations to work on some projects. You’re not really behind at all, especially if you don’t know what you want to do yet.

Given your research background, I’d say focus first on figuring out what you’d like to do as a career. Spend some free time shadowing fields you may not rotate in but think you might like.

Once you have an idea of your desired field, then start reaching out to faculty. Ask upperclassmen who the better mentors are and who has projects that students can do. Chart reviews and case reports are relatively easy to crank out in a few weeks. As you get to know people, reach out to residents and ask if they have any old posters or oral presentations or previously rejected papers they’ve never turned into a published manuscript. With your experience, you’d probably be very good at it and you’d build a lot of good will within the department while also building your CV. Some of my best pubs came from old projects that someone else picked up and ran across the finish line!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school is 1 year preclinical followed by 3 years of clinical. Our summer break is 6 weeks long. Not an excuse, but I had to focus on a lot going on in my personal life, and I ended up just being a student. No clubs, no research, nothing. I’ve managed to still pass everything and I’m proud of that.

I feel like when it comes time to apply for residencies, I’ll be a failure. I’m not looking to go into dermatology or anything, but I don’t want to be severely hamstrung even for “easier” specialities to get into. I also don’t want to be severely limited where I can apply (I’d like to go to California for example, or stay in my home state).

I’m not sure what to do. Even if I started emailing professors right now (no clue who), I doubt I’ll have anything lined up for July that’ll get significant results in 6 weeks’ time.

If I start research my third year, will that be enough to at least “check a box”?

I have extensive research from undergrad and publications. I was an MSTP but decided I don’t want the PhD and I dropped the program (I loved research but my motivations were misplaced). I’m already feeling at a significant disadvantage because of it.
A competitive ERAS application has several critical components: Good academics (class rank, clinical grades), Step Scores, LoRs, AOA (if you school has it), Research, Extracurriculars. Working hard as a med student, you can accomplish the first 3. Thus, don't worry too much about the lack of research. At worst, you may have to take a gap research year prior to ERAS applications.

You need to figure out which speciality you are leaning towards. If you fall in love with Derm, ortho, ENT, NSG etc, you need speciality specific research.

Other extracurriculars are only important if you have significant contributions (such as starting an initiative, won major funding etc). Otherwise, just being a member doesn't really contribute much to the competitiveness of your app. For most competitive specialities, research >> other ECs.

A competitive ERAS application has several critical components: Good academics (class rank, clinical grades), Step Scores, LoRs, AOA (if you school has it), Research, Extracurriculars. Working hard as a med student, you can accomplish the first 3. Thus, don't worry too much about the lack of research. At worst, you may have to take a gap research year prior to ERAS applications.

You need to figure out which speciality you are leaning towards. If you fall in love with Derm, ortho, ENT, NSG etc, you need speciality specific research.

Other extracurriculars are only important if you have significant contributions (such as starting an initiative, won major funding etc). Otherwise, just being a member doesn't really contribute much to the competitiveness of your app. For most competitive specialities, research >> other ECs.
Well I don’t want to take a gap year lol. If I’m looking at primary care, do you think not having any med school research would be awful? I’m truly not that interested in derm or rads or whatever.

You have plenty of time. Most school with abbreviated preclinical time will have additional elective time available later. You also have time during easier rotations to work on some projects. You’re not really behind at all, especially if you don’t know what you want to do yet.

Given your research background, I’d say focus first on figuring out what you’d like to do as a career. Spend some free time shadowing fields you may not rotate in but think you might like.

Once you have an idea of your desired field, then start reaching out to faculty. Ask upperclassmen who the better mentors are and who has projects that students can do. Chart reviews and case reports are relatively easy to crank out in a few weeks. As you get to know people, reach out to residents and ask if they have any old posters or oral presentations or previously rejected papers they’ve never turned into a published manuscript. With your experience, you’d probably be very good at it and you’d build a lot of good will within the department while also building your CV. Some of my best pubs came from old projects that someone else picked up and ran across the finish line!
Truthfully I’m very interested in primary care, mostly family med. I’ve shadowed a bit and I’ve loved it. However, my formal clinicals aren’t until next year, so I of course can’t say surgery or whatever isn’t for me just yet.

Your best bet is to focus on doing well in school. Forget checking boxes, leave behind that anxiety, and start enjoying your life.

The easier your mindset, the better you will do, and the more competitive you will be. If activities interest you at some point, it’ll come more naturally and be more meaningful anyway.

best of luck