Jacket - on or off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathy80

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So all the shirts with necks I like are either short-sleeved or sleeveless. I was thinking this was a problem, when I realized that maybe we never take our suit jackets off anyway during interview day? Any help/advice on this?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

kathy80 said:
So all the shirts with necks I like are either short-sleeved or sleeveless. I was thinking this was a problem, when I realized that maybe we never take our suit jackets off anyway during interview day? Any help/advice on this?
Thanks!

I was told adcoms tend to be conservative so unless they invite you take off your jacket, don't, even when it's sweltering hot out.

Which may be a problem for me because I sweat like a bastard.

kathy80 said:
Thanks!

Are you a guy?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
kathy80 said:
Thanks!

are you a troll, or worse - some kind of a neurotic freak

Do you think they would care if I take my shoes off, I love to walk around barefoot. I think the best that way!

ifailedmcat said:
Are you a guy?? :confused:

Thats awesome!

Login name: Kathy80
interview attire: sleeveless shirt under a jacket

Sorry, I got a good laugh off of the mental image on that one though.

umm you can take it off, just as long as you have a long sleeved dress shirt - guys.

jacket off at an interview? I dont know. I guess it depends how comfortable you are with your interviewer. If your interviewer is into that sort of thing, I guess he or she wont mind watching you jacket off. Then again, you might want to wait to go jacket off when you get home and you have some privacy.

capt

Unless invited to take it off, I'm leaving mine on. It is proper to unbutton it, though, when you sit down.

Hey! You all are mean (well, a few of you - thank you to the ones with the nice responses). I'm a girl (duh), and I think it's a valid question from someone who hasn't worn a suit very often and doesn't really know if the jacket generally stays on the entire day.
Like you're all not neurotic freaks, anyway.
:)

superunknown said:
Unless invited to take it off, I'm leaving mine on. It is proper to unbutton it, though, when you sit down.

While this is true, be warned that you must unbutton it seductively. If you seem like too much of a prude, they usually don't even go through with the rest of the interview.

WalterSobchakk said:
While this is true, be warned that you must unbutton it seductively. If you seem like too much of a prude, they usually don't even go through with the rest of the interview.

Don't go into medicine, Walter. You're entering a world of pain. RARRRRRRRRRRR

Dr Dean said:
Don't go into medicine, Walter. You're entering a world of pain. RARRRRRRRRRRR

Dr. Dean, you're out of your element. Gunning is not the issue here, dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
WalterSobchakk said:
Dr. Dean, you're out of your element. Gunning is not the issue here, dude.

But shabbos is coming up and I don't SDN on Saturdays. RAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHOMER SHABBOS!

It might be exciting to go jacket off in public, especially around somebody you hardly know. personally, the only time I go jacket off is when Im alone. I've never really tried jacket on, but I'll be looking into that. I hope you figure it all out before the interview.

I was asked to take my jacket off at an interview because it was so damn hot in there. RAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

the only time i was asked to go jacket off was with this freaky deaky girl i met in vegas. i cant really see the jacket off issue coming up during a med school interview though.

Dr Dean said:
I was asked to take my jacket off at an interview because it was so damn hot in there. RAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Did you take your jacket off the traditional way or rip it off while saying RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR at the end of a question you just rocked?

kathy80 said:
Hey! You all are mean (well, a few of you - thank you to the ones with the nice responses). I'm a girl (duh), and I think it's a valid question from someone who hasn't worn a suit very often and doesn't really know if the jacket generally stays on the entire day.

I at least plan to take my jacket off during the tours and lunches between the interviews. My interviews are in Texas and summer really doesn't end until the beginning or middle of October, so I purchased a short sleeve and 3/4 sleeve shirt that are still pretty conservative.

Plus, during the tours, we will only be around the med students. And hopefully, during the interview, they will have air conditioning.

Hope this helps!

Jessica

im definitely planning to go jacket off while everybody is doing the tour. it will be good stress relief.

I'm planning to hide the jacket of everybody that takes one off to increase the stress of other interviewees. :thumbup:

captbadass said:
im definitely planning to go jacket off while everybody is doing the tour. it will be good stress relief.

I literally laughed out loud when I read your first post on this thread. Unfortunately, they just keep sliding down hill. :(

kathy80 said:

Haha sorry, your question made you sound like a guy. Notice how only guys answered your question :D.

For the actual interview I will probably leave my jacket on, which is the same thing I did for my mock interview.

WalterSobchakk said:
Did you take your jacket off the traditional way or rip it off while saying RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR at the end of a question you just rocked?

The latter. I totally rocked a question on euthanasia so I took a victory lap around the room. RAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR

i'm a guy and plan on going completely shirtless under my coat.
:idea:

gdk said:

If you look anything like your avatar, I pray for you. RAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

gdk said:

We have similar style. I still might wear the tie, though. I think the adcom is really looking for people with confidence. What says confidence better than a nice blazer, no shirt, and a tie? This definitely looks sharp if you are wearing a tie that matches your boxers...I already decided I'm not wearing pants for the interview. I'll let you know how it all works out.

CAPT

captbadass said:
I'll let you know how it all works out.

CAPT

You don't need to state the obvious. I don't see how anyone can reject such a badass applicant/captain. btw, go gators!! :thumbup:

i was going to go shirtless with a tie, but i couldn't find anything to clip it to.

gdk said:
i was going to go shirtless with a tie, but i couldn't find anything to clip it to.

Try clipping it to your chest hair :idea:

Since no one has quite answered the question you are asking: if you want to be completely proper, you should wear a long-sleeved blouse. Partly this is because it's nice for a small amount of your blouse sleeve to show under your suit sleeve, maybe 1/4" or so. Also, you want to have the option to remove your jacket, even if you don't think that you will actually do so. It's best to be prepared, just in case.

adamj61 said:
Do you think they would care if I take my shoes off, I love to walk around barefoot. I think the best that way!

Wear clogs and slip them off, nobody will know. That's what I'm gonna do.

Thank you, aparecida. You are a nice, sweet, normal person. I wish you lots of luck during this process! :luck: