Jackson Memorial Hospital or Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shehab3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I am doing my ROL now and I am really confused
I am an IMG and I have done 8 interviews, but since I need H1 visa, then my first 3 programs on the rank list would be:
Jackson memorial hospital, Miami
Wayne State University, Detroit
St. John Hospital, Detroit.

can anybody tell me which program is better teachingwise.. I don't have pathology experience.. so I need a supportive program.. during the interviews all of these programs looked good enough.. in fact I liked the rest 5 programs that I interviewed with more.. but those sponser J1 visa only.. and since I have passed step3 and look for H1 visa, I am going to rank the previous 3 program first.

Just want to mention one more thing.. I heard about the problem between Wayne State and Detroit medical Center.. so would you think that this issue will have an impact of the residency program?
any help would be appreciated guys.. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody
I am an IMG and I have done 8 interviews, but since I need H1 visa, then my first 3 programs on the rank list would be:

can anybody tell me which program is better teachingwise.. I don't have pathology experience.. so I need a supportive program.. during the interviews all of these programs looked good enough.. in fact I liked the rest 5 programs that I interviewed with more.. but those sponser J1 visa only.. and since I have passed step3 and look for H1 visa, I am going to rank the previous 3 program first.

Just want to mention one more thing.. I heard about the problem between Wayne State and Detroit medical Center.. so would you think that this issue will have an impact of the residency program?

I don't know anything about those programs... and I usually would say that teaching is most important... but Miami>>>>>>Detroit.

No question. U Miami by a mile.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont know anything about the other programs, but miami offers very little preview time (if any) they have a very rapid turnover. my impression was that the residents were not very happy and were overworked. they seemed to have conveyed that they only chose that prog due to family constraints or other personal reasons (as with ur visa issue)
if u go there, im sure u will learn what u need. im just saying that i got the feeling the prog's focus is not resident education

dont know anything about the other programs, but miami offers very little preview time (if any) they have a very rapid turnover. my impression was that the residents were not very happy and were overworked. they seemed to have conveyed that they only chose that prog due to family constraints or other personal reasons (as with ur visa issue)
if u go there, im sure u will learn what u need. im just saying that i got the feeling the prog's focus is not resident education

You probably have a point. BUT I would rather be in Miami, chained to the grossing station, than be in Detroit. I admit I have no knowledge of the Detroit programs, they may be great for all I know, but I've been to Detroit. I interviewed at Miami (for the location), ranked it low for the reasons you mentioned and didn't wind up there by the way.

Hi everybody

I think the medical funding situation in the Detroit area could adversely affect the programs there. With demise of the auto industry living in Detroit is like living during the depression of the 1930s. Miami also has funding issues. They closed down their dermpath fellowship about 3 years ago due to a lack of funding. Good luck.

I want to add another thing..
It is Wayne State that has the funding issue in Detroit not St. John Hospital. So let me ask the question this way:
Wayne State has this funding issue, but it is a university program
St John does not have similar problem, but it is a comunity hospital program and as far as I know the program director there prefares that the IMGs have previous training in pathology..
Now how shouldIdecide between these two?

I want to add another thing..
It is Wayne State that has the funding issue in Detroit not St. John Hospital. So let me ask the question this way:
Wayne State has this funding issue, but it is a university program
St John does not have similar problem, but it is a comunity hospital program and as far as I know the program director there prefares that the IMGs have previous training in pathology..
Now how shouldIdecide between these two?

Between the the two, Wayne for sure.

I would say that the WSU-DMC fighting (present and in the recent past) has already started to have an impact on the residency programs.
Residents tend to get a bit edgy when there is a question of the longevity of their program.
Also, when there is a cloud hanging over the program it tends to make recruiting more difficult.
I heard that while the DMC programs filled last year they (almost universally) went further down their rank lists than they had at any time in recent history - I'll leave it up to you to find the significance in that bit of scuttlebutt.