James H Quillen Coll. of Med. Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geronimo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made my final decision. I'm off to ETSU. My wife and I struggled to come to a decision and now we've made it. We are heading up to Johnson City in February and March to start looking into buying a house. We just signed a contract on our current house yesterday to close in February.
My Story

Members don't see this ad.

I have an 850 sq ft, 2 bedroom condo I will have to sell in Johnson City if you are interested. I did not get into Quillen so I must move.

henryjekyl said:
I have an 850 sq ft, 2 bedroom condo I will have to sell in Johnson City if you are interested. I did not get into Quillen so I must move.
Sure, although we are looking at a "bare-bones" price range. I think I can only get about $14K from Quillen in loans to cover living expenses. We are going to look at really cheap things first and if we don't find anything we like, we'll look at higher stuff. What are you going to be asking for the Condo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Geronimo said:
Sure, although we are looking at a "bare-bones" price range. I think I can only get about $14K from Quillen in loans to cover living expenses. We are going to look at really cheap things first and if we don't find anything we like, we'll look at higher stuff. What are you going to be asking for the Condo?

Not sure yet. Most likey 70K or less, and that is not a for sure quote. I live on less than 14K in loans for living expenses and the morgage is affordable. It is all about what interest rate you get and how much you are able to put towards a down payment. Good location, quiet. Less than a 15 minute drive to Quillen.

henryjekyl said:
Not sure yet. Most likey 70K or less, and that is not a for sure quote. I live on less than 14K in loans for living expenses and the morgage is affordable. It is all about what interest rate you get and how much you are able to put towards a down payment. Good location, quiet. Less than a 15 minute drive to Quillen.
I tell you what, we are coming up in March (the 11th and 12th I believe). If you have it on the market then, maybe we could meet up with you. Keep me in mind. PM me once you have decided on selling it and I can give you my phone number, etc...

Geronimo said:
I tell you what, we are coming up in March (the 11th and 12th I believe). If you have it on the market then, maybe we could meet up with you. Keep me in mind. PM me once you have decided on selling it and I can give you my phone number, etc...

sounds good.

Does Quillen host any Medical Conferences on a regular basis?

where is this school you refer to?
congrats.

Johnson City, TN. In the far northeast corner of TN.

I'm trying to nail down some things that I can probably afford now and would rather get now than later.

Supplies? What should I try and find other than a Diagnostic Set and Stethoscope? Also, what sort of specs on these? I've heard get a Welch Allyn Diagnostic Set - Ophthalmoscope & Otoscope and a Littman Cardiology III.

I hate to be the only one posting on here but maybe another Quillen student will come along soon and find all this info of use. I found this on one of ETSU's website. In case the link goes bad, here is what it says.

ETSU to select first Quillen Scholars for fall 2005
Tuesday, January 25, 2005

JOHNSON CITY - East Tennessee State University is preparing to select its first Quillen Scholars and award the first James H. Quillen Scholarships for this coming fall semester 2005.

Quillen left a bequest to ETSU establishing a scholarship endowment to assist students from Tennessee's First Congressional District, which he represented for 34 years in Washington, D.C. Specifically, he requested that endowment proceeds be used to fund scholarships for students who might not otherwise be able to attend college due to financial constraints. The recipients will be named "Quillen Scholars."

The Quillen Scholars will be awarded $4,000 per academic year. Applicants must be full-time ETSU undergraduate or graduate students who are residents of the First Congressional District of Tennessee, which includes the following counties: Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington.

Selection of the Quillen Scholars will be made on the basis of scholastic endeavors, school and community leadership, volunteer services and activities, other extracurricular activities, and work experience. Applicants must have demonstrated financial need as determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Entering ETSU freshmen must have scored at least 19 on the ACT (900 SAT) and have a minimum high school grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. Entering ETSU transfer students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Currently enrolled ETSU undergraduate and graduate applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.

Quillen Scholars will be chosen by the James H. Quillen Scholarship Selection Committee. For applications and additional information, write the ETSU Scholarship Office, Box 70557, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614; call (423) 439-7094; fax (423) 439-7090; or e-mail [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

East Tennessee State University
Box 70267
Johnson City, TN 37614-1700
(423) 439-1000

Well, no definites yet....but my state school just put me on post-interview hold. Basically, I will hear between now and mid-May about my status (which will probably be wait-list). So yeah, as of right now, I'm headed to Quillen (which I'm thrilled about, loved the school). Glad you posted that article, because now I won't bother to apply for those scholarships seeing as how I'm out of state. Oh well, maybe I'll panhandle to pay for med school! ;)

OrnotMajestic said:
Well, no definites yet....but my state school just put me on post-interview hold. Basically, I will hear between now and mid-May about my status (which will probably be wait-list). So yeah, as of right now, I'm headed to Quillen (which I'm thrilled about, loved the school). Glad you posted that article, because now I won't bother to apply for those scholarships seeing as how I'm out of state. Oh well, maybe I'll panhandle to pay for med school! ;)
Sorry to hear that man. But, it is worth holding out some hope. It may work out yet. Waitlists do work out some of the time. :luck: Do apply for institutional scholarships! There are several out there. You need to do your taxes first if you had a job (if not, then get your parents to do theirs), then fill out your FAFSA. Please keep us (or at the moment, me) updated. Actually, I know one other that is in a similar situation as you. She is between KY and TN, not sure what would be best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well actually, I'm not waitlisted yet. OHSU doesn't have a waitlist till mid-May. Instead, they accept 10% of their class until April or so, then batch invites for the rest, then wait-list/rejections. Basically, they said "sit tight and you'll hear from us by mid-May". Greaaaaaaat.

Anywho, i commented on the specific scholarships at ETSU, since they are for in-state locals only (which does not apply to me). Fear not, I'll be applying for some other national scholarships probably!! :) My taxes are done, and I did my FAFSA January 5th, so I'm already on top of things. Now I just have to correct my FAFSA with my new tax info.

Maybe you know the answer to this: I'm nearly 27, and have been an independent for a long time. My FAFSA is usually just me....but they recommend putting my parents on there because I'm a medical student. Do you know why they do that? I did as they asked, but i'm still curious.

Don't worry, I"ll keep you updated. :)

From what I understand, it opens a few extra options (governmental stuff) that you couldn't get otherwise. It can't hurt you though. Or so they say! Perhaps I'm wrong but that was my understanding after talking with them.

I met with Ruthie last November and got no compassion, no real guidance other than apply for our stuff, try the web scholarship searches, and "we have great loans available." I was a bit frustrated. :(

Congrats to all!! Just got my acceptance letter this week :D Now I can finally cancel all those other interviews and save some money!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Congrats to all!! Just got my acceptance letter this week :D Now I can finally cancel all those other interviews and save some money!
Glad to know I have another "for sure" in the thread now. OrnotMajestic is still waiting to hear from his state school (sounds funny given TN is my state school) but he may not know for sure till May.

Yeah, it's weird. On hold at my state school, yet accepted to an exclusively in-state school. This process really is a giant crap-shoot!! lol

Ok this may be a silly ? but why is ETSU's mascot a pirate? It does not seem to fit into the beautiful mnt atmosphere.

samboo said:
Ok this may be a silly ? but why is ETSU's mascot a pirate? It does not seem to fit into the beautiful mnt atmosphere.
Actually, I think it is a bucaneer, which is just a fancy word for pirate :) . As to why it their mascot, I'm sure there is a joke to be made, but I like the school, so I'm not going to go there! :thumbup:

ANyone know when school starts in the fall? I searched the website and catalog, but I had no luck. I'm assuming August, but I'd kinda like an exact date.

I checked the 05-06 calendar and for M1s the first official day is Monday, August 1st. You'll have a weeklong orientation from July 25-29, and the White Coat Ceremony on Saturday, July 30th. (RPCT orientation is TBA.)

Quillen is a great school, by the way. Like any other medical school, it can be difficult and/or taxing at times, but other than that I'd give it an A overall. I mean, even things like no-hassle parking can mean a lot when you're stressed.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your rest before you begin the journey! :)

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
ANyone know when school starts in the fall? I searched the website and catalog, but I had no luck. I'm assuming August, but I'd kinda like an exact date.

Dakotman,
Any suggestions on "things you wish you knew" before you started school? Things like how to get around financial aids limits on how much money you can get, or cool professors that we should try to get to know, or even best times/places to study. Of course, we know this would be from your vantage point but anything you could offer would be like 'gold nuggets' of wisdom to us at this point :)
Thanks.

Hey guys,

I've been accepted to a few schools (ETSU's one of course or i wouldn't post this here :)) and I'm submitting fafsa today. Is ETSU's code the same as the undergrad school code? When I looked it up on the FAFSA, there wasn't a separate one for Quillen but I always get anal when filling out federal forms. Tried calling financial aid/admissions office all day yesterday, but for some reason I kept getting "this number is not in service right now. try back later"

~madrigail

madrigail said:
Hey guys,

I've been accepted to a few schools (ETSU's one of course or i wouldn't post this here :)) and I'm submitting fafsa today. Is ETSU's code the same as the undergrad school code? When I looked it up on the FAFSA, there wasn't a separate one for Quillen but I always get anal when filling out federal forms. Tried calling financial aid/admissions office all day yesterday, but for some reason I kept getting "this number is not in service right now. try back later"

~madrigail
Their number is E00171 Check it out at Quillen's FAFSA page

Application Period
June 1 - November 15 of the year prior to admission.

The application and all related materials must be received by AMCAS by November 15.

Quillen College of Medicine's application deadline has changed to November 15. The November 15 deadline will go into effect this year for the 2006 entering class. Quillen College of Medicine also participates in the AMCAS Early Decision Program with applications due by August 1.

2005 Entering Class Average MCAT and GPA
Application Status Through 3/9/2005
Incoming Class Average GPA

BCPM 3.64
All Other 3.72
Total 3.68

Incoming Class Average MCAT
Verbal Reasoning 9.8
Physical Sciences 9.5
Biological Sciences 9.8
Writing Sample O

2005 Entering Class Application Status
__________________In-State____Out of State____Total
Applications Received 468____719____1187
Applications Rejected 295____604____899
Interviews to Date ____159____38 ____197
Acceptances Offered 70 ____18 ____ 88

DebDynamite said:
Hey everyone.
Geronimo, don't buy anything yet, except maybe Clinically Oriented Anatomy , Grants Dissector
( NOT Grants atlas),Langmans Embryology ( a MUST have for HDGB- just read it first, save youself some heartache- the lectures are, um, a tad um, well...you'll see. If you can get these books used online, do so now and save yourself some money. Or wait and see what your big sib parts with (but I kept all those books). You will buy a Netter's during the first week of school and get an AMSA membership along with it. Netters Embryo is nice but not necessary. Wait and buy your scope at the sale, unless you can get a reduced price Littman now. If you can get the Welsch Allen now and afford it go ahead, but we do have the opportunity to get a pan optic at a reduced price, which you may wanna spring for. When Dr Eason insists you need a pan optic, don't listen unless you want it too- you'll understand what I mean later (or Google Pan Optic & check it OUT). It is a superior tool, but for a first year it may be a little over the top (although potentially a great investment for later, as we do get to buy it cheaper).

Gross is awesome, our lab kicks butt. You will miss it second year. Yet Second year is infinitely better than first.
:)
Thanks for all the advise. I'll stick to the basics for now. I'll wait on the Netter's atlas till that first week. What about Langmans Embryology? Why is it important. Would that be a good "summer read" for me before jumping in? I'm going to review some basic science and anatomy but I hear Dr. Kwas (sp?) is the torturing type. I met him again this past Saturday. I can't help but like the guy but he makes me feel a little uneasy. :scared:

I saw a 1990 edition of Langman Emryology for .50 cents on Ebay. Reckon an older edition would be okay? I think they are up to 9th edition for $40 bucks right now.

DebDynamite said:
Hi.
You need the most recent Langmans (unless the 8th also has lots of color pics and the Simbryo CD)-and no, don't read it this summer. Read the pages that relate to the lectures before you attack the lectures- and if you go to HDGB lecture- read over Langmans before (if it's an embryo day). It's an important tool because embryo can be confusing- and our notes for embryo assume a certain level of knowledge you probably won't have entering med school. Do not under any circumstances study anything medically related this summer- I promise.

Kwas is amazing- he's a great lecturer, one of the best. He writes step I board questions. The Netter embryo is just a good visual aid, but isn't hardcore-necessary.
I'll be looking forward to having Kwas, then. He sounds like he is great prep for the boards then. I'll hold off till the semester starts then to get a Langmans. Any other suggestions for that first semester? I'll have a new baby in the home, I could use any "head-starts" I could get now. Time will be a precious commodity.

Agree with Deb- 2nd year is better than 1st...Earl the Pearl is da man! And the good news is, it gets even better! 4th year is da bomb!! Once you get over the humongous hurdle of 3rd year, it's smooth sailing (well, at least until intern year, anyway)
I must confess- I absolutely hated anatomy, but I loved the anatomy faculty. Kwas is awesome! I was pregnant in my 1st trimester and horribly nauseous every day, hence my negative opinion- but under any other circumstances, it's a great class!
As for studying in advance, I do understand why you'd want to do that given the new baby on the way. It's tough, though, because the volume of material is SO huge! If you're really dead-set on studying in advance, probably the best thing would be to get a 2nd year's syllabus and read through the notes in advance (I'd give you mine, but, alas, I threw them out just last week!) You might also grab a Grant's dissector and work through that with an atlas. One definite must: Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy- it's expensive, but worth it. It has hundreds of actual cadaver dissections, all meticulously labeled- that's how I survived anatomy! What I found helpful was to do a "virtual" dissection with Rohen and the dissector prior to going to lab- really helps you understand what's going on much better. Plus Rohen is a great way to study when you can't be in lab (which was frequently for me, since it made me sick!)
As for buying old editions- that's fine for anatomy, histology, physical diagnosis, probably for physiology and micro as well. For biochem, you probably need something a bit more current. Not sure about embryo- HDBG is a really weird class (our class was the guinea pig for that course back in 2001 and back then, it SUCKED! Hopefully it's gotten better over the years!) I actually didn't buy any of the HDBG textbooks, just used the grid books for the embryo and biochem portions and basically just PRAYED my way through the rest (Do they still make you memorize transcription factors ad nauseam?)
Speaking of grid books- i.e., Board Review Series- a lot of people in my class bought those- they're a great review for the national shelf exam, which you have to take at the end of every course. So if you've been using it all along throughout the course, that will make studying for the shelf easier. "High Yield" is a similar series, not quite as detailed, more compact, probably more appropriate for Step 1 review- but they don't have practice questions like the grid books.
Make sure you get old tests from your big sib- those are the best way to study for our tests, though a lot of professors are now making those available online.
That's about all I can think of for now- if I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Congrats to everybody in the class of 2009!

kd said:
Agree with Deb- 2nd year is better than 1st...Earl the Pearl is da man! And the good news is, it gets even better! 4th year is da bomb!! Once you get over the humongous hurdle of 3rd year, it's smooth sailing (well, at least until intern year, anyway)
I must confess- I absolutely hated anatomy, but I loved the anatomy faculty. Kwas is awesome! I was pregnant in my 1st trimester and horribly nauseous every day, hence my negative opinion- but under any other circumstances, it's a great class!
As for studying in advance, I do understand why you'd want to do that given the new baby on the way. It's tough, though, because the volume of material is SO huge! If you're really dead-set on studying in advance, probably the best thing would be to get a 2nd year's syllabus and read through the notes in advance (I'd give you mine, but, alas, I threw them out just last week!) You might also grab a Grant's dissector and work through that with an atlas. One definite must: Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy- it's expensive, but worth it. It has hundreds of actual cadaver dissections, all meticulously labeled- that's how I survived anatomy! What I found helpful was to do a "virtual" dissection with Rohen and the dissector prior to going to lab- really helps you understand what's going on much better. Plus Rohen is a great way to study when you can't be in lab (which was frequently for me, since it made me sick!)
As for buying old editions- that's fine for anatomy, histology, physical diagnosis, probably for physiology and micro as well. For biochem, you probably need something a bit more current. Not sure about embryo- HDBG is a really weird class (our class was the guinea pig for that course back in 2001 and back then, it SUCKED! Hopefully it's gotten better over the years!) I actually didn't buy any of the HDBG textbooks, just used the grid books for the embryo and biochem portions and basically just PRAYED my way through the rest (Do they still make you memorize transcription factors ad nauseam?)
Speaking of grid books- i.e., Board Review Series- a lot of people in my class bought those- they're a great review for the national shelf exam, which you have to take at the end of every course. So if you've been using it all along throughout the course, that will make studying for the shelf easier. "High Yield" is a similar series, not quite as detailed, more compact, probably more appropriate for Step 1 review- but they don't have practice questions like the grid books.
Make sure you get old tests from your big sib- those are the best way to study for our tests, though a lot of professors are now making those available online.
That's about all I can think of for now- if I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Congrats to everybody in the class of 2009!
Thanks KD. I appreciate your advice. I'm totally excited about getting started. I'll keep your advice in mind.
Thanks.

Geronimo,

I graduated QCOM (Quillen College of Medicine) in 2004 and I'm finishing up my first year of Family Medicine residency in Spartanburg, SC. I look back on my years at QCOM with great fondness. It was a wonderful, small medical school and our class got along with each other really well.

I wouldn't do any summer reading if I were in your shoes. I would get moved in and settled in Johnson City and spend my time relaxing, hiking, e.t.c. Believe me, you'll be studying more than you want as soon as the school year starts.

Med school is not that difficult. All you have to do is make sure that you stay on top of things. Don't wait until the week before a test to start studying for it. Most anyone is capable of being the top of the class... you've got do decide whether it's worth it or not. To be in the top you have to study ALL of the time and basically have no life. The best advice I was given in med school was by a classmate of mine. He said, "B is for balance." In hindsight, he was right. Aim for balance in life -- even in med school. Set a study schedule that leaves time for yourself and your family and just stick to the schedule - even if it means getting B grades instead of A grades. If you get a "B", you know the material, you just haven't memorized every last little obscure detail.

Try to get out and play ultimate frisbee every week with your classmates. We used to play every Thurs or Fri evening on the softball field at ETSU or in a neighborhood park behind the new Krogers.

Good luck at QCOM. I know several of the med students and residents there. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to try and answer them for you. QCOM administration is great and they'll help you in anyway that they can. Once you're in, they wanna do everything to help you succeed.

And yes... Kwas is great!!! He tells the corniest jokes in class. He cares about the students -- he would come to our parties and our intramural games.

You'll get an excellent education.

After seeing all the talk about textbooks, I figured I would chime in <ding!> with a question. Does anyone use Guyton's (now Guyton & Hall) Medical Physiology? I am an aerospace physiologist now and Guyton is one of my most useful texts. I guess I'm just asking has anyone found it useful within QCOM's curriculum? Thanks.

spartanburg said:
Geronimo,

I graduated QCOM (Quillen College of Medicine) in 2004 and I'm finishing up my first year of Family Medicine residency in Spartanburg, SC. I look back on my years at QCOM with great fondness. It was a wonderful, small medical school and our class got along with each other really well.

I wouldn't do any summer reading if I were in your shoes. I would get moved in and settled in Johnson City and spend my time relaxing, hiking, e.t.c. Believe me, you'll be studying more than you want as soon as the school year starts.

Med school is not that difficult. All you have to do is make sure that you stay on top of things. Don't wait until the week before a test to start studying for it. Most anyone is capable of being the top of the class... you've got do decide whether it's worth it or not. To be in the top you have to study ALL of the time and basically have no life. The best advice I was given in med school was by a classmate of mine. He said, "B is for balance." In hindsight, he was right. Aim for balance in life -- even in med school. Set a study schedule that leaves time for yourself and your family and just stick to the schedule - even if it means getting B grades instead of A grades. If you get a "B", you know the material, you just haven't memorized every last little obscure detail.

Try to get out and play ultimate frisbee every week with your classmates. We used to play every Thurs or Fri evening on the softball field at ETSU or in a neighborhood park behind the new Krogers.

Good luck at QCOM. I know several of the med students and residents there. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to try and answer them for you. QCOM administration is great and they'll help you in anyway that they can. Once you're in, they wanna do everything to help you succeed.

And yes... Kwas is great!!! He tells the corniest jokes in class. He cares about the students -- he would come to our parties and our intramural games.

Thanks Spartanburg! I appreciate the advice. I'm fairly confident I will spend my summer getting moved in and enjoying a week or two with my newborn before orientation. I can't believe how quickly this is all coming but I'm excited. I might flip through my Kaplan Biology cards again a time or two to remind myself the path blood flows or the different types of hormones that come from certain glands. :) Other than that, I'll take the advice all of you are giving and relax. You said B=Balanced. I like that better than what I heard this past weekend. Someone said C=MD. That is true. I just like the B better than the C. :)

Thanks so much.

DebDynamite said:
Hey Geronimo.
All of the advice you've been given is so good, it took me a while to think of more- here's what I wish I knew entering, from day 1:

They will tell you at orientation that you more than likely are gonna change the way you study- this is in many ways true. They will say, "try study groups"- this may or may not be a good idea. And in my experience, what they should say is "study partners". So, 1st semester, first year, approach a few people, and go out on "study dates"- see who you cllick with (in other words, after studying with this person(s)- do you know the material better than if you had been alone?). try a few of your classmates, and if you are lucky, you will find a person with whom to study regularly that makes your life a lot easier. Just be nice about the whole process, and honest about what you are experiencing (without being rude0, and you will stand a good chance of creating a support system that can really get you through. This may or may not involve people you "hang out" with- and there may be more than one classmate that you study with well. Try and avoid BIG groups- except in one class- stats. For most classes, keep it 2 or 3 in a group. But in stats (where you are allowed to work in groups), get about six people together in a circle, and crank that crap out as effectively as possible. I wish I knew all of this 1st year....

Good luck, compadre.... :)
Yeah, I understand. I know that studying with others does sharpen you. Why do you say a bigger group for stats? What sort of things do you have to compute. Don't you need to know how to do all of it?

Another question for all of you. How does the school's insurance stack up? It is so expensive to cover my wife and newborn in addition to me. Any suggestions? Is the schools policy good (worth the money)?

Geronimo said:
How does the school's insurance stack up? It is so expensive to cover my wife and newborn in addition to me. Any suggestions? Is the schools policy good (worth the money)?

Geronimo,

The schools insurance is worthless. You get very little for your money and it is basically catasrophe insurance. My wife and I, as well as 4 or 5 of my classmates found much better deals through an insurance broker named Stephen Martinson. He was based in Johnson City at that time but has since moved to Knoxville. However, he will still drive up to Johnson City and meet with you. He met with my wife and I in our home and found out exactly what we were wanting out of a health insurance policy. He then found the three best offers from various insurance companies and we chose the one we liked the best. We ended up going with an insurance company named "Golden Rule." Stephen was very honest, not pushy at all, and was a great help to us. On top of that he charged us nothing for his services because he gets paid by whichever insurance company you go with. We ended up getting our health and life insurance policies with his help. His address and phone number are 3336 Franklin Creek Lane, Knoxville, TN 37931 Phone: 865-692-8567. He's a super nice guy and I would at least meet with him and hear what he has to say. If you need any of my classmates to vouch for him I can give you their contact info.

spartanburg said:
The schools insurance is worthless.
I had pretty much guessed that but good to know that others see it that way.
spartanburg said:
We ended up going with an insurance company named "Golden Rule." ... If you need any of my classmates to vouch for him I can give you their contact info.
I would love to at least contact a couple of others to get their opinions but this guy certainly sounds like the kind of person I would like to deal with. If you want PM me their info or I can PM you my contact info and you could get it to me that way. Just let me know.

Thanks though. It is the kindness and helpfulness of people like you that have really attracted me to Quillen. Just such great people there. :)

First of all, congratulations to everyone who was accepted to Quillen.

Ditto to everything Spartanburg said!!

I too graduated QCOM in 2004 and I am (Thank God) almost finished with my intern year in General Surgery at the University of Arkansas. The medical school here is much, much, larger than Quillen and there isn't the same kind of clost knit family feel like at Quillen.

Enjoy this summer before starting school. Do not, and I mean absolutely do NOT pick up any books to study until school starts. I completely chilled before starting my MS 1 year and I did just fine.

The professors at Quillen do a great job at preparing you for Step 1 and Step 2 (Dr. Kwas and Dr. Brown are the greatest!). In your clinical years you will have great mentors in all the fields.

Unlike, spartanburg, I tried to keep away from Ultimate Frisbee because our classmates were kind of dangerous with that frisbee. I got hit one time and that was the end for me. :laugh: But, if your class is anything like ours was, you can bond doing any kind of activity.

Enjoy you time at Quillen. You will have a blast and before you know it you will be finished. Stay positive! Get to know you classmates well because they can be your source of strength when you think that you just can't go on.

Feel free to PM for with specific questions.

(Hey Spartanburg - Remember the Diva?) :cool:

spartanburg said:
Geronimo,

Ah... Dr. Diva and Spartanburg.... what fond memories!!! Glad to see that you're both doing so well!!!!

As for QCOM... there's not much else to add!! It's a hidden treasure, in my mind... I began my family while in school (hard to believe that my son is 2 now!), enjoyed my time working with the FM department, and felt totally prepared for my first year of internship!

I have no qualms.... I focused more on the B grades than the As, secondary to some family health issues, the first two years... but even that was enough to get me through 3rd year with more than a B+ average....

Best of luck- you'll love it!

Tenn
www.greenwoodfp.org

mochadoc said:
Enjoy this summer before starting school. Do not, and I mean absolutely do NOT pick up any books to study until school starts. I completely chilled before starting my MS 1 year and I did just fine.
So, I guess you would suggest staying out of their summer "prep" program for people who have financial and acadmic challenges? Not that I could do it anyway. I've got a newborn on the way and I'll be teaching summer school during the first part of the summer. I just got a brochure from Quillen advertising a program that they have 25 spots for. From June 20 through July 20th, you can come and have kind of an early start to med school with some anatomy stuff with Dr. Kwas and other general "how to survive med school" tips. It doesn't cost anything and some people can even get a stipend. If I was single and had nothing better to do, I'd probably jump at it.
mochadoc said:
The professors at Quillen do a great job at preparing you for Step 1 and Step 2 (Dr. Kwas and Dr. Brown are the greatest!). In your clinical years you will have great mentors in all the fields.
Do you all know anyone at Quillen who failed either step and had to retake it?

I never saw any of my classmates carrying around a Guyton last year. The only book you need is Costanzo's Physiology (the STARS version, which is a more detailed version of the BRS Phys book.) The notes the professors provide is in the form of large bound tomes for each section. They are in-depth and in general, pretty good.

I know this isn't the right answer, but Geronimo, I know that everyone says not to worry about anything the summer before med school. I do wish, however, that I had picked up an anatomy book (like the coloring book, or something else geared for undergrads) and at least familiarized myself with the names. I've never had any sort of anatomy course at all, and it seemed that many of my classmates came in with at least a basic knowledge - considering that many were nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, etc. in their past lives, this isn't so surprising. Anyway, if you had anatomy in HS or college (i.e., any knowledge beyond "the arm bone is connected to the other arm bone,") I wouldn't sweat it at all.

Again, best of luck!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
After seeing all the talk about textbooks, I figured I would chime in <ding!> with a question. Does anyone use Guyton's (now Guyton & Hall) Medical Physiology? I am an aerospace physiologist now and Guyton is one of my most useful texts. I guess I'm just asking has anyone found it useful within QCOM's curriculum? Thanks.

manta said:
I never saw any of my classmates carrying around a Guyton last year. The only book you need is Costanzo's Physiology (the STARS version, which is a more detailed version of the BRS Phys book.) The notes the professors provide is in the form of large bound tomes for each section. They are in-depth and in general, pretty good.

I know this isn't the right answer, but Geronimo, I know that everyone says not to worry about anything the summer before med school. I do wish, however, that I had picked up an anatomy book (like the coloring book, or something else geared for undergrads) and at least familiarized myself with the names. I've never had any sort of anatomy course at all, and it seemed that many of my classmates came in with at least a basic knowledge - considering that many were nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, etc. in their past lives, this isn't so surprising. Anyway, if you had anatomy in HS or college (i.e., any knowledge beyond "the arm bone is connected to the other arm bone,") I wouldn't sweat it at all.

Again, best of luck!
No, I've had nothing, like you. I bought Netter's Anatomy Cards and thought I might flip through those some this summer but nothing extreme. I also bought a used anatomy book for like $5 from a book store and I thought I might read through it some. I don't see studying that stuff as laborsome since I'm SO interested in it anyway. I love the human body and anatomy. I suppose an actual course in the subject may change my mind though :)

Thanks for the tip though.

Based on this list, which are "must buys" and which are "don't buys" or "maybe buys?"

So, this is a little disjointed. People disagree a lot about this, so take my advice with a dash of salt...

Definitely get a Netter. I think this is probably the only thing all of my classmates would agree on. I would also highly recommend the Swartz Physical Exam book, and Langman's. If you like to read (like I do), Clinically Oriented Anatomy is a good buy - blue boxes are high yield. The BSLD text is new (to me anyway.) Thompson and Thompson is interesting, but not very helpful. I had biostats in grad school, so I didn't need the HY book - but most of my classmates liked it. Don't get Harrison's yet. Steadman's is free if you apply for an AMA credit card. I really don't think anyone actually liked the dissector. But, it's cheap and a good way to have at least some direction in lab. I personally wouldn't buy one if I had to do it again. Kwas et al are amazing, and if you need help, it's probably easier to ask one of them!

Geronimo said:
No, I've had nothing, like you. I bought Netter's Anatomy Cards and thought I might flip through those some this summer but nothing extreme. I also bought a used anatomy book for like $5 from a book store and I thought I might read through it some. I don't see studying that stuff as laborsome since I'm SO interested in it anyway. I love the human body and anatomy. I suppose an actual course in the subject may change my mind though :)

Thanks for the tip though.

Based on this list, which are "must buys" and which are "don't buys" or "maybe buys?"

Thanks all. Reading your posts just make me more and more excited about getting started!

Well, I'm pretty positive that I will be attending Quillen this year, regardless of my state-schools status with me. I think I've been fighting it, but to me...QCOM just "fits"...and I can't explain it. :)

OrnotMajestic said:
Well, I'm pretty positive that I will be attending Quillen this year, regardless of my state-schools status with me. I think I've been fighting it, but to me...QCOM just "fits"...and I can't explain it. :)
AWESOME NEWS!!! :thumbup: :D :clap: :clap: :love: :D :laugh: :D :clap:

So, will you wait till Summer to make the final move and everything? If so, let me know and we can swap contact info, etc...