James-Lange Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMantisTobogganMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've uploaded the question. I was under the impression that in James-Lange theory there was interpretation of arousal. The diagrams I've seen online have differing answers, some have interpretation, others don't. I know it's similar to Schacter-Singer, but that's "cognitive labels/reasoning". Anyone have the correct interpretation of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Lange theory.JPG
    Lange theory.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 38
No no, James Lange isn't interpretation of arousal. Here's how I remember and it helps me EVERY TIME:

James LAnge is LAme, he's so boring. He just thinks that your physiological response leads to emotional response.

Hah, I'll remember that. So it's just Schacter-Singer that has interpretation. Thanks a lot.

Exactly:
James Lange is Lame, just believes in physiological responses leading to emotions

Schacter-Singer : When you wanna go SING on a stage, how do you fight your nervousness? It's all about how you interpret the physiological response so you dont Schit your pants.

As for Cannon Bard- I don't really have a shortcut, just remember that it has the physiological and cognitive component at the same time.