January seat seekers, unite! And commiserate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am rather terrified of the new MCAT 2015. I have a seat reserved on January 13th, but the test center is 5 hours away (by car).

I will be spending the next N days refreshing the MCAT registration website all the damn time, looking for a closer seat to open up. A seat on January 23rd would also be really amazingly awesome. More time to study.

If I could get a seat on January 23rd in my home town, I would do unholy things for that.

I did take the test on December 6th (4 days ago), but I really want a backup plan.

Pro tip: If you register for a seat in a terrible place (e.g. Guam), then you can more easily check the availability of seats in better places. This is because initial registration takes like 20 minutes - you need to fill in your undergraduate institution, the classes you took, and all sorts of crap. The seat will likely vanish while you do that. However, once you hold a seat, you can very easily check for other seats. Rescheduling is fundamentally much faster than registering for the first time. Sadly, rescheduling costs an extra $65.

Note that an initial registration takes 20 minutes even if you already took the test earlier this year (like me). The servers have apparently forgotten where you went to college, and they need to ask you again. You cannot skip the questions, they are all required.

I am somewhat bitter, because when I started to register, there was a seat about 1.5 hours drive away. By the time I had finished entering my college and classes, that center was still in the drop-down menu but it said "no seats available" when I clicked "find seat". That 20 minutes of answering stupid questions that I answered back in August quite possibly made the difference between a 5-hour drive and a 1.5-hour drive.

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped my JAn 23rd seat for Houston, TX today after getting my Nov 7 exam scores.

There are far more seats open now than there were on December 8 through 10. I just rescheduled for a January 13 test only 1 hour away.

Nonetheless, it seems unlikely that nearby seats will ever open on January 23rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is now lots of turnover on January 13th and 15th, so people should have a very good shot at getting a seat on the 13th or 15th. There were like 20 states for both days just a moment ago.

January 23rd is still extremely tight, it is usually either no sites at all or just Guam. I suspect that if January 23rd ever sees openings, it will be on January 6th when the December 6th test scores come out.

Reactions: 1 user
I am amazed so many seats are currently open for test takers when a month ago there were a lot of panicked premeds petitioning for more seats.

Everything except January 23rd has a fair number of seats. Usually 20 or 30 states at once have seats, and the states shift. I suspect just about anyone can get a seat in their home state if they check two or three times.

I foresee this thread will not be full of misery. I suspect even more seats will open up after January 6th, when scores for December 6th are released.