JHU MS Epi vs. UMich MPH Epi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm currently deciding between two programs -- JHU's MS in Epidemiology and UMichigan's MPH in Epi. I'm very interested in genetic epidemiology, biostats/methodology, and clinical trials. I'm planning on either getting a PhD later or possibly getting a clinical degree (i.e. MD/DO/etc.) and continue in a research setting. I'm hoping to find a program that is very research focused with a lot of opportunities to work both within the SPH and in other school's such as the Medical School, departments of biology, etc. since I really love the idea of the blending epidemiology with clinical science and basic science. In terms of environment, I'm looking for a school with strong mentorship, a collaborative environment, and a pretty large student body since I like the opportunity to meet new people on a consistent basis.

Does anyone have any insights into these two programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm currently deciding between two programs -- JHU's MS in Epidemiology and UMichigan's MPH in Epi. I'm very interested in genetic epidemiology, biostats/methodology, and clinical trials. I'm planning on either getting a PhD later or possibly getting a clinical degree (i.e. MD/DO/etc.) and continue in a research setting. I'm hoping to find a program that is very research focused with a lot of opportunities to work both within the SPH and in other school's such as the Medical School, departments of biology, etc. since I really love the idea of the blending epidemiology with clinical science and basic science. In terms of environment, I'm looking for a school with strong mentorship, a collaborative environment, and a pretty large student body since I like the opportunity to meet new people on a consistent basis.

Does anyone have any insights into these two programs?

I just posted a really long write up about Michigan's Accepted student day in the general thread, but it sounds like Michigan matches up really well with what you want. Like, really well.