JMC vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doktorious

Bachelor of Awesomeness
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get some feedback on the Jefferson experience vs. that of VCU?

This would include factors for both on curriculum, area, extracurriculars, school-sponsored activities, global health, clinical opportunities in M1/M2 and rotation facilities in M3/M4.

Even if you don't have a comparison opinion, any and all opinions on both schools will be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say VCU for sure. Not really a question in my opinion. Great school, great people, great facilities, I hear they have the most beautiful medical students too (probably why they picked you in the first place!), and not to mention virginia is super cool. I could really just go on and on about how great VCU is.*

On the flip side, PA has dumb liquor laws. No 2 buck chuck, no thanks!**

*note that Jefferson is going to be my first of two interviews late in the season and is probably my best shot at an acceptance. The more people that don't go to Jeff the better my chance is :) GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :: insert awesome VCU mascot here::!
**you did say you wanted "all opinions" :p

Honestly, go to second look and make the best decision for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thread moved to School Specific Discussions, the correct forum to discuss specific schools.

For your question OP, I didn't get the chance to interview at either of those schools so I don't have much to add other than that I found second looks helpful in deciding.

If you are a Virginia resident, then this is easy. Otherwise, it becomes tricky. So can you provide us with more details?

Never been to Jefferson but VCU was amazing in my opinion, and since I dont think one school has a reputation that holds more weight than the other I would say go with your gut at second look!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all!

If you are a Virginia resident, then this is easy. Otherwise, it becomes tricky. So can you provide us with more details?

I'm actually located closer to Philadelphia lol, which is one of the pros on my Jefferson list! What is the social life like at VCU? What are the pros and cons?

Spot reserved so I can remember to come back and talk about Jefferson.

Could you? I'd really love to hear more! In your opinion, what are the best and worst qualities of the school?

Last edited:
I think the best part about Jefferson is its student body and sense of community. The vast majority of students here are sociable, positive, and willing to share their experiences with you. Like I've said previously, I live with upper years, and their default has always been to try to offer as much advice as possible. I hang out with their friends, and it's the same way. JeffHOPE is another great example of this attitude here at Jefferson. When you volunteer to go out on a med team, the upper year you're paired with will likely be excited about getting the opportunity to teach. The same applies to the residents that come out to clinic. Within the class, there are people that are willing to go above and beyond to put together study guides, post videos, and provide additional learning resources.

I guess a negative aspect of the school is the tuition, which hovers around $55k the last time I checked. Financial aid is sparse unless you're a URM or come from a disadvantaged background. Clinical teaching during rotations is pretty hit or miss depending on your residents, but that's a universal thing among med schools. Other than that, there's not much I have to complain about.

Im in the exact same boat. Any other pros or cons appreciated! I left this decision for last minute and am leaning towards Jeff. VA instate but substantial scholarship from Jeff made it only marginally more expensive!

Thanks in advance!

VCU and Jeff are both probably equal in prestige/research opportunities/etc. The factors you asked to discuss are negligibly different between the schools, and any differences probably won't affect your overall experience in medical school. I'd pick on geographic preference and $$$. Personally, I'd rather live in Philly than Richmond especially if I already had connections there.