Job before classes begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethAreMyThing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the information I was looking for. I will have a bachelor's degree in Biology in December of this year. Assuming I get accepted somewhere, I will have quite a bit of time from then until dental school actually begins. My question is what kind of jobs do people get prior to matriculation? I spent 3.5 years working in retail and would like to avoid doing that again. Do people get jobs based on their undergrad degrees, work as assistants, etc? I am hoping to set aside some money before dental school begins and this will be the case whether I get in this cycle or have to reapply. I'd appreciate some input on the subject. Also, is it rude to accept a job offer knowing that you will inevitably have to quit within several months?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a phlebotomist, substitute teacher, and online biology tutor. Do whatever you can to make money, but don't stress yourself out before school starts!

Find something that makes money. Be straight forward when you apply for a job and say that you'll be resigning before DS starts. I personally want to find a position at dental lab if I get accepted this December. I think the experience will help me in DS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look up temp agencies in your area. Not super fun work but low stress and good money in my experience

I'm working as a dental assistant because the place I'm at pays pretty well and I get to be exposed to my favorite field every day :). Learning some pretty interesting things like K7.

I agree with all the above. Do whatever job you can that reasonably pays well, but also be honest to your employer about your future plans.

I'm working as a dental assistant because the place I'm at pays pretty well and I get to be exposed to my favorite field every day :). Learning some pretty interesting things like K7.

Ayyyyyy, you got the job? :D I remember you posted a thread about interviewing for a DA position. Glad to see it worked out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with all the above. Do whatever job you can that reasonably pays well, but also be honest to your employer about your future plans.

Ayyyyyy, you got the job? :D I remember you posted a thread about interviewing for a DA position. Glad to see it worked out for you!
Thanks! Yeah I was fortunate enough to receive a few offers but the place I'm at now is so high tech I knew I would learn the most there. You're so kind :) best wishes to you!

Reactions: 1 user