Job Demand Decline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FineGentleman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to this friend of my dad's today, and he has a kid who consistently has been going to a physical therapist. The therapist recently said that lots of therapists are getting laid off and there are proposals on making physical therapy be entirely free and so I'd be getting gov't wages. like a teacher if I decided to go on this career path at this time.

Your thoughts? srs.

Members don't see this ad.

Any evidence or logical reasoning?

Members don't see this ad :)
The idea that "lots of therapists are getting laid off" doesn't ring true to me...people get laid off in all career fields, but I doubt that lots of PT's are getting laid off. All the PT's here in PHX seem to stay quite busy from what I've experienced.

Last edited:
There were a couple lay-offs at the hospital where I've been shadowing. I got the impression that the laid off people had roles that were part managerial (not directly revenue generating). So when cost cutting time came, they might have seemed more 'expendable' to higher ups.

So there were PTs who got laid off, but they weren't really seeing patients day in and day out.

I've heard of other PTs talk about how things aren't like they used to be. But they aren't unemployed, just considering working at an SNF on the weekends to help make ends meet.

Isnt all the jobs like this in todays market? Nothing is the same as it was before. But it seems like to me, PT are still in need and those who are laid off... find their way around to a new job pretty fast. * shrug*