Job market for US trained Pathologist in CANADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redapple123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the job market for US trained / certified pathologist in CANADA ?

As per the following website being an IMG who is board certified in the US is exempt from the Canadian exams and can directly apply for a job

ref: http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=2354

I am considering this route as I am on a J1 visa.

thnks

Members don't see this ad.

US might be better.

Last edited:
more importantly, in path there simply isnt that many jobs in canada anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
more importantly, in path there simply isnt that many jobs in canada anymore.

Ontario is pretty much full. I wouldn't count on getting love from the fourth pathway.

Pathology has been increasing in popularity among medical students here, and we've seen those first few really big resident cohorts hit the workforce. Combine that with the fact that the provincial health systems have decided to throw money at their labs, and job vacancies have dropped dramatically.

There always are underserved communities in undesirable areas that probably would be open to IMGs - try rural/northern New Brunswick or northern Manitoba. (Both will require you to pass your Royal College exams).

Last edited:
just for curiosity's sake, Giemsa (since you appear to be a knowlegeable Canadian pathologist), what's the forensic pathology situation in Canada? is there a medical examiner system? coroner? I have no specific plans to ever work in Canada, but would consider it for a good job opportunity in one of the medium or large cities.

just for curiosity's sake, Giemsa (since you appear to be a knowlegeable Canadian pathologist), what's the forensic pathology situation in Canada? is there a medical examiner system? coroner? I have no specific plans to ever work in Canada, but would consider it for a good job opportunity in one of the medium or large cities.

Varies by province. Certain provinces e.g. Saskatchewan are still on the coroner's system, while it's neighbour, Alberta, uses the ME system. This distinction doesn't really seem to impact the practicing pathologist (from what I've seen).

*Disclosure: I am NOT a forensic pathologist*

There isn't a high demand for forensic pathologists in most parts of Canada, simply because the total numbers of these required is so low. Two forensic pathologists cover the entire province of Saskatchewan, and one ME is enough for the province of Nova Scotia. Salaries tend to be slightly lower overall in incomparison to other groups of Canadian pathologists (e.g. anatomic or general aka AP/CP), but also vary widely by province.

Since there are no forensic pathology fellowships in Canada (we aren't even going to discuss the U of T), the forensic pathologists that we do have represent Canadians who went south to do fellowship training, or Americans lured up by the promise of snow and beer.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. i didn't realize there weren't any fellowships up there in FP, so i suppose they would have to accept US or European training. not surprising that few FPs are needed though, given the much lower population density up there, and the lower homicide rate. now you have me curious about your UT comment (i assume that refers to the university of Toronto, not university of texas, the great football powerhouse down in austin... heheh), so if you don't mind, please PM me the story.