Job offers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCDO1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since residents are now finishing up residency and beginning jobs, I thought this might be an appropriate time to ask examples of starting salaries in the NY/NJ/CT area, call schedules, and how many deliveries expected per month. I have always been interested in obgyn, but much less so in the past year because of horror stories I have been hearing concerning not only residency, but jobs outside of residency paying $150,000 for 60 hour work weeks, etc. Since I have sincere interests in other specialties, I may decide to pursue those if it turns out these stories are true...

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on whether the position is academic or private. Overall, your figure is on the lower end, unless its a general OB/GYN position at one of the big academic institutions. These generally pay lower than the market value.

With respect to your post, I would examine the "other" factors (not just salalry) in determining your specialty choice. You'll be able to make your living, find the lifestyle/work style that best suits you no matter what specialty you go into, but you want to be sure that you're selecting your specialty for the right reasons!

Best of luck.

Thank you for your response, but as I said in my original post, I do have sincere interests in other fields. Sorry to say, but salary does play a large role in people's decisions, especially when they will be working like dogs for the rest of their lives, as in ob/gyn. I am not an altruistic do-gooder... I went into medicine because I was interested in the subjects, interested in the human body. That's a pretty selfish reason, and I will pick my specialty based on which subject and career I like best. Part of that is salary and lifestyle.

It always seems to be on this ob/gyn forum, when a salary question is asked, the most common answer is never an actual number, it's "do what you love". Maybe those of you who have knowledge of these numbers don't want to share them because you don't want to scare potential applicants away? Anyways, I'm scared away already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response, but as I said in my original post, I do have sincere interests in other fields. Sorry to say, but salary does play a large role in people's decisions, especially when they will be working like dogs for the rest of their lives, as in ob/gyn. I am not an altruistic do-gooder... I went into medicine because I was interested in the subjects, interested in the human body. That's a pretty selfish reason, and I will pick my specialty based on which subject and career I like best. Part of that is salary and lifestyle.

It always seems to be on this ob/gyn forum, when a salary question is asked, the most common answer is never an actual number, it's "do what you love". Maybe those of you who have knowledge of these numbers don't want to share them because you don't want to scare potential applicants away? Anyways, I'm scared away already.

Geez. No need to pull a Gordon Gekko speech. We all like money.

It takes a couple of minutes to find salaries online.

Here are a couple of links that give average starting salaries and salary after a few years:

http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_physician_compensation_survey.htm

http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm

The state of Utah makes salaries for public institutions available to the public. A quick scan shows:
OB/GYN salaries ranging from 100,00-500,000. Not the top earners like ENT, ortho, or plastics but solid nonetheless. A motivated person in private practice could do very well which is often the case.

http://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?query=&city=u_of_u&position=&order=&oType=&page=1

Salaries will be lower in academics versus private practice in general.

As far as call schedule. It depends on your set up. Some huge groups have 13-14 physicians and take call twice a month. Others are Q4 as there are 4 physicians in the practice.

In addition, others are becoming laborists and work Friday from 6PM until Monday 7AM and start at $180,000 with 8 weekends off per year.

If you do a fellowship, salaries will be higher on average. MFMs in private practice churn out a good salary. REIs can really clean up, in the neighborhood of 500,000 and above if they market themselves well.

The specialty is decent overall. Not the highest earning by a longshot but a comfortable salary that can afford you some of the finer luxuries in life if you want that too.

Last edited:

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. I like money as much as the next person, but as I mentioned above, don't let that be the basis for your decision. This is not some template answer I give everyone, its just the reality of it. If salary is in fact that big of a factor in your decision, then I really think you're looking at the wrong field. Another way you may want to approach the pay issue (with respect to time) is look at the RVU's specific to the specialty.

Your comment regarding this forum and "numbers" is correct, but your reasoning is absolutely wrong! 1) We have nothing to hide/gain/lose by stating what the numbers are 2) I strongly doubt that applicants would be scared away solely by comments on this forum and 3) there is so much variability in the job market that a fair answer can't be given.

I can easily make your day by telling you that OB/GYN's make $233,487 in NY/NJ/CT, but that would be flat out lie. Think about what your asking, and what the reality is:
1. Academic or Private?
2. OB/GYN large group or joining a solo practitioner?
3. National Health Service Corp area and job?
4. Planned Parenthood/VA gyn?
5. Pure GYN practice?
6. Practice with many CNM/NP's utilized?

This is why you can't get one answer and why the median surveys such as MGMA don't really apply. I have a friend who joined a large practice and started at $220, I have another that is working for an academic hospital in Jersey for $140, another performing only terminations at $190, one working as a hospitalist/laborist at $170, and a couple in upstate predominantly doing OB for $280 each.

If you're already as "scared"as you mention in your post, then again you I say that you should look at OB/GYN very carefully as no matter how good the money, it may not be right option for you. Most folks would take less money as a happy doctor than more money as a miserable doctor.

Generalist OB/GYN's have a vast range of salaries. The more underserved the higher the pay. As far as hours less and usually home call for having CNM as first call.

I agree c Global.

However, there is a trend of increasing applicants to sub-specialize