Job Outlook: PGY-2 Ambulatory Care vs. Transitions of Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd009

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently a PGY-1 resident at a community teaching hospital in NJ. I'm currently considering two career paths and wanted to get SDN's outlook on them. I have a couple parts to my question.
  • My current program has longitudinal activities in the family medicine clinic and with the oncologist in her outpatient practice. The activities mostly include answering patient/physician's questions and making follow-up phone calls to patients. Compared to other programs who have dedicated rotations in am care and stronger am care components with CDTM, I feel like my program is lacking a bit. With that, what are my chances of getting a PGY-2 am care position? What could I do to strengthen my chances?
    • As a follow-up to that, I do know one past resident who went on to do a PGY-2 in am care in CA. So I guess it is possible (?!), but I am just unsure about my chances compared to other candidates who have stronger am care experiences.
  • My overall impression is the ambulatory care is not too big in NJ yet. I went to school in Boston, where there were many pharmacist-run clinics and CDTM everywhere. In NJ, I feel like people barely know what CDTM is. For those in the area, what is your perception of am care and the job market in NJ? What about for surrounding states (CT, NY, PA)?
  • Lastly, my alternative is some sort of position in transitions of care. Definitely a growing field for pharmacy, but I know many health systems lean towards hiring techs to do med recs rather than pharmacists. What is the job market like for pharmacists in TOC in the Northeast region? What is it like compared to ambulatory care?
If you made it this far, thanks for reading :) looking forward to all your responses!

Members don't see this ad.