job prospects and lifestyle in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any of you know if it is easy to find a job in Neurology in private practice? I hear most jobs require you to be on call about q4 q5 with a contracting hospital and seems most practices require you to serve as consultant, not just do outpatient neuro. Also, seems most job ads out there want people trained in EMG.. In my institution we had no outpatient experience, so I wonder how it is out there in real life-

I need to pick specialty choice soon and am concerned about lifestyle issues. I don't need a huge salary, just flexibility, preferably 8-6 no on call kind of position. Is the flexibility out there to find these kinds of jobs in a metropolitan area?

Thank you very much for helping me in my career decision struggles

Members don't see this ad.

Any of you know if it is easy to find a job in Neurology in private practice?

Google "neurology jobs" and judge for yourself. There are plenty of jobs. The question is what kind of practice you want to do and where you want to do it.

I hear most jobs require you to be on call about q4 q5 with a contracting hospital and seems most practices require you to serve as consultant, not just do outpatient neuro.

Generally that is true. Pure outpatient practice is unusual but it does exist. Call depends on the number of neurologists kicking around. How busy call is (i.e., how often you actually get called) is also highly variable and depends on patient mix in the area, acuity level of the hospital, competence or lack thereof on the part of the local internists and ER docs, etc.

Also, seems most job ads out there want people trained in EMG.

That's because EMG is a moneymaker in neurology.

In my institution we had no outpatient experience,

Thank God I didn't go to your institution. That pretty much epitomizes everything that is wrong with neurology training. My ideal Neuro residency would be about 80% outpatient/20% inpatient.

I am concerned about lifestyle issues. I don't need a huge salary, just flexibility, preferably 8-6 no on call kind of position.

Well, the non-huge salary should be easy to find :laugh::laugh::laugh:

8-6 with no call is going to require some looking, but it can be found. You may be somewhat limited in terms of geography -- you may not find the perfect job in the perfect place, but life is full of compromises.

[/quote].Thank God I didn't go to your institution. That pretty much epitomizes everything that is wrong with neurology training. My ideal Neuro residency would be about 80% outpatient/20% inpatient. .[/quote]

Thanks- very helpful. I meant my med. school rotation. I think the residency is better balanced here...I hope. First need to decide on specialty, then which program. Thanks again for the help