Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's the job search coming along for the PGY-5s?

Members don't see this ad.

How's the job search coming along for the PGY-5s?

Slow. I've gotten A LOT of "we don't have anything right now, but will hold onto your CV just in case." All of the places I was most interested in have just hired someone - like every one - it's uncanny.

Similar experience to what I've been having, it's been really slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, calm down. Every place that hired somebody is just bringing them on board July/August so they aren't thinking about needs a year from now yet.
Just went through this 2 years ago. Only places I visited in July/August were places where the vibe was "we're looking for somebody, any warm body." Wasn't until after ASTRO that good places started getting serious with me, and ASTRO was in October that year. Signed in mid/late December at a place that I had interviewed with in September, and wasn't until December they firmly decided they needed someone...(or maybe I was just 5th on their list or something)
Just get your name out there, don't be too pushy. Things will heat up.

Looks like I have about 1 or 2 and a possible one at ASTRO... What is an ideal number to have going into ASTRO?

Looks like I have about 1 or 2 and a possible one at ASTRO... What is an ideal number to have going into ASTRO?
It's like matching or marrying.... you really only need "one" ;)

Beyond that, there are no hard and fast rules. Probably good to have a mix of PP and academic interviews if you're still unsure as to the track you wish to pursue

I'm guessing we'll have fewer this year since Astro's so early.

It's like matching or marrying.... you really only need "one" ;)

Beyond that, there are no hard and fast rules. Probably good to have a mix of PP and academic interviews if you're still unsure as to the track you wish to pursue

I just hope I don't get a job in the middle of nowhere.

I just hope I don't get a job in the middle of nowhere.
It's all about where you are willing to compromise. There are three main things to consider: 1) Job location 2) Job salary and 3) Job "quality"

You're probably going to take a hit in 1-2 of those areas to make up for the others.

Has anyone heard back about going for site visits to groups that you interviewed with at ASTRO? I heard from a couple, but mostly a lot of silence.

Anyone done much research into MGMA RVU calculations for Rad Onc? I am trying to get my hands on a copy of 2013 MGMA compensation report by geographical region.

here it is

Attachments

• survey.pdf
    767.8 KB · Views: 356
Much appreciated, seper

Found it:
What is included in total compensation?
Total compensation is defined as the direct compensation amount individually reported on a W2, 1099 or K1 tax form, plus all voluntary salary reductions [401(k), 403(b), section 125 tax savings plan contributions].
Total compensation includes:
Salary
Bonus
Incentive payments
Research stipends
Honoraria and distribution of profits
Total compensation does not include:
Expense reimbursements
Fringe benefits paid by the practice (retirement plan, life and health insurance, automobile allowances)
Any employer contributions to a 401(k), 403(b) or Keogh plan

Last edited:
The job market for Rad Onc not so hot? Or is this just a matter of timing?

IMO ASTRO being so early this year really screwed up the timing of job interviews. I'd be willing to bet if ASTRO were at the normal date (nowish) it would have been more useful for people on the job hunt.