Job switch dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have previously posted the downsides of my job in this forum....basically it's really stressful, no time for lunch, sometimes overnights by myself, etc. I am currently a medicine pharmacist in a hybrid model, and I have an opportunity to go into an LTC type environment. The new job would have no late evening, night, weekend or holiday responsibilities and would be much less stressful. Sounds great and all, but the only problem is that although it's still a hybrid position, it is more staffing and less clinical (though there are still some clinical responsibilities such as anticoag/PK on a few patients and LTC monthly notes for a few patients), so it wouldn't look as great on my resume as my current job. So here's my dilemma: less stress but less clinical position, or more stress but more clinical position (and therefore better-looking resume if I ever decide to leave the health system). I've been debating this for a month and still not sure what to do; need to decide within the next few weeks. I don't expect SDN to come up with a decision for me, but just wanted to see what people think.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I would at least give the long term care a shot. You can always work there for a year or two; if you decide you don't like it or want to be more clinical, I don't think having a long term care position on your resume for a short time period is really going to hurt you for going back into a more clinical position. Just my two cents. A little stress is okay with me, but I wouldn't want a really stressful job. Plus no evenings/holidays/weekends sounds awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me, I would at least give the long term care a shot. You can always work there for a year or two; if you decide you don't like it or want to be more clinical, I don't think having a long term care position on your resume for a short time period is really going to hurt you for going back into a more clinical position. Just my two cents. A little stress is okay with me, but I wouldn't want a really stressful job. Plus no evenings/holidays/weekends sounds awesome!

See that was my thinking too. Then my boss found out I am considering it, and she told me that it'll probably be easy for me to get that job, but they wouldn't consider people from that job to be hired into my current position, as it is less clinical there. Not sure if that's true, or she was just trying to scare me as she really doesn't want anyone to leave because we're always super understaffed. But really, I do feel like if I do it for a year or two and keep my ACLS certification (no codes in the LTC, they just call 911), I won't lose my clinical skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
See that was my thinking too. Then my boss found out I am considering it, and she told me that it'll probably be easy for me to get that job, but they wouldn't consider people from that job to be hired into my current position, as it is less clinical there. Not sure if that's true, or she was just trying to scare me as she really doesn't want anyone to leave because we're always super understaffed. But really, I do feel like if I do it for a year or two and keep my ACLS certification (no codes in the LTC, they just call 911), I won't lose my clinical skills.

I would probably take that with a grain of salt since it's coming from your current boss. Plus it's not like going into long term care is going to take away your experience or the fact that you completed a residency. But I'm not involved with hiring "clinical" type pharmacists, so you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt too! I actually think that if you're involved with any sort of consulting in your new job, that could actually add to your skill set.

I currently work in LTC and even though my title is "clinical pharmacist", it really doesn't feel clinical at all. I might try and make all the interventions that I see, but some docs aren't willing to listen, or else it's way too busy and we're just trying to get the meds out the door. I really feel that I've lost a lot of my clinical knowledge and have become jaded, so I'm looking for a way out.

PM me if you want to hear more about what I go through at work.

Then my boss found out I am considering it, and she told me that it'll probably be easy for me to get that job, but they wouldn't consider people from that job to be hired into my current position, as it is less clinical there. Not sure if that's true, or she was just trying to scare me as she really doesn't want anyone to leave because we're always super understaffed. But really, I do feel like if I do it for a year or two and keep my ACLS certification (no codes in the LTC, they just call 911), I won't lose my clinical skills.

She may have told you this to scare you (and it shows that she likes having you around, otherwise why tell you?), but she is also likely telling you the truth. If the move is seen in her eyes as a step backward, other folks - if they are familiar with the job responsibilities of the two positions - might look at your resume and assume that you weren't able to handle the responsibilities of the first position and looked for something easier (regardless of the actual reason you took the new position). You'll have to explain why in the interview process - if you make it to an interview (candidates for positions have been disqualified for far less than that).

I'm not telling you not to pursue it; just recognize that things that appear to be a step backward might have repercussions later on.

No nights, weekends, or holidays? Take it and run lol

No nights, weekends, or holidays? Take it and run lol
Yep and by holidays I mean federal holidays...so 10 of them including MLK, etc... This is a dream job for most people, yet I'm still undecided (297.1 is right). On good days I want to stay and on bad days I want to leave...good to bad day ratio is 50/50 now so that makes it hard.

my wife's working in LTC still, and while she complains constantly about the incompetence and laziness from managers down to staff, she admits that the job is cushy and draws in mostly people who just want to do the minimum and veg out until retirement.

I got all reviews about the job that I could. Basically it's a staffing position with just enough clinical sprinkled in to keep it from being mindnumbingly boring (though LTC notes are still pretty boring). Ugh...still can't make up my mind whether it's worth having the schedule that this job is, and whether I want to "veg out till retirement".

I got all reviews about the job that I could. Basically it's a staffing position with just enough clinical sprinkled in to keep it from being mindnumbingly boring (though LTC notes are still pretty boring). Ugh...still can't make up my mind whether it's worth having the schedule that this job is, and whether I want to "veg out till retirement".

Is that really your choice? Think about it for a minute. No, don't even waste a minute. Take the less stressful job and find the mental challenges outside of work.

I would hold out and look for an ambulatory position. Clinically challenging, lots of variety and same amazing schedule: all holidays off, 9 to 5, no nights/wknds.

I understand what old-timer is saying but I still like to learn and be clinically challenged at work. I don't think you are going to find that in most ltc jobs. Lack of stress is important to overall health but I think you need to at least enjoy what you are doing at work too. Checking med cassettes all day in a warehouse sounds mind-numbing.

Trust me the schedule is everything you think it is...amazing! I love it, but the job has to be right to go along with it....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hold out and look for an ambulatory position. Clinically challenging, lots of variety and same amazing schedule: all holidays off, 9 to 5, no nights/wknds.

I understand what old-timer is saying but I still like to learn and be clinically challenged at work. I don't think you are going to find that in most ltc jobs. Lack of stress is important to overall health but I think you need to at least enjoy what you are doing at work too. Checking med cassettes all day in a warehouse sounds mind-numbing.

Trust me the schedule is everything you think it is...amazing! I love it, but the job has to be right to go along with it....

No cassettes and no warehouse, thankfully. The pharmacy is inside the facility and functions like a hospital pharmacy, just with less acuity.

i'm guessing from you not mentioning it, that the pay difference isn't significant? i intern at a LTC pharmacy and have heard the pharmacists there get paid a little less than what average pharmacists make. was just wondering

i'm guessing from you not mentioning it, that the pay difference isn't significant? i intern at a LTC pharmacy and have heard the pharmacists there get paid a little less than what average pharmacists make. was just wondering

In the private sector, my wife is being paid more than hospital and less than retail. ok, started out 108k/yr right out of school, now $125k after 4 yrs with the company.

Part of the problem is we graduated from a top school, both competitive and ambitious. So she's constantly frustrated with the brain dead work and how incompetent and lazy the rest of the team are. But that's why she's using the company education benefits to get her MBA and become the boss... I feel sorry for those lazy ones when the time comes. Lol.

My pay and benefits will be exactly the same if I switch, as I'll still be working for the same health system.

50/50 good day to bad day ratio... What do you think that ratio would be if you took new position?

Honestly, only based on the fact that it is taking you this long to make a decision, shows me that you don't want it.

My pay and benefits will be exactly the same if I switch, as I'll still be working for the same health system.

Ok, one, I'm taking about metro Texas in term of local. Two, how are you advancing yourself?

I was a resident for the VA and was the only one out of 4 to be offered a job onsite, but I didn't stay because (1) my wife reminded me that I should be going after my goal, not safety. (2) my residency and area of interest was in infectious diseases and oncology, don't sacrifice passion for safety.

I can't tell you what to do, but the way I think is the long term, 30yr career goal, them I back calculate what are the intermediate and immediate foals. That's just me, but I think it wouldn't hurt if you gave it some thought.

how long have you worked at your current job? if it's less than a year, then stay, if its more than a year, then i dom't know how the hell you can stay at a job where you hate your life half the time... I mean seriously? career goals aside, life is too short to be always at work and getting stressed at the same time.... if I was at a job where I want to shoot myself half of the time i'm there, I wouldve jumped ship the first chance I got

I decided not to take the job, as it would be a step backward in my career. Now I applied for another job that seemed great on paper and got all excited about it, but was just told by an MD that the job security for pharmacists at that hospital is bad, as in there have been layoffs in the past and the environment is right for layoffs to happen again. It just sucks that despite I see many negative things about my job, it always comes out as the best option...that is pretty depressing.

In the private sector, my wife is being paid more than hospital and less than retail. ok, started out 108k/yr right out of school, now $125k after 4 yrs with the company.

Part of the problem is we graduated from a top school, both competitive and ambitious. So she's constantly frustrated with the brain dead work and how incompetent and lazy the rest of the team are. But that's why she's using the company education benefits to get her MBA and become the boss... I feel sorry for those lazy ones when the time comes. Lol.

Your wife is getting paid $125k after four years in LTC with no residency?! That is sweet! I really hope I can find a job like this when I get out!

It just sucks that despite I see many negative things about my job, it always comes out as the best option...that is pretty depressing.

That sentence perfectly sums up how I feel!

Hang in there! I'm sure things will turn around for you at some point if you keep looking. Maybe it will just take awhile.