Job while in School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vederosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got offered a GA position while in school.. I'm debating about it. It's only 10 hrs a week max and is already built into my schedule (I can do it during my lunch breaks).

What's your guys take on doing a GA in school?

Members don't see this ad.

ideal job while in school...crazy not to take it.

ideal job while in school...crazy not to take it.

Hah.. i know... It seemed to good to be true. Then my parents countered with their own "fellowship", they'd pay me NOT to take it and just concentrate on school.

Members don't see this ad :)
well at the school i want to go to if you work as a GA they pay for most of your tuition so you can bet i am jumping all over that :D if you don't NEED a job/money then i wouldn't bother but it could be a good opportunity to get to know your professors even better ya know?

Hah.. i know... It seemed to good to be true. Then my parents countered with their own "fellowship", they'd pay me NOT to take it and just concentrate on school.

Well sheesh, if your parents are chipping in to not work, by all means, don't work! No brainer!

Well sheesh, if your parents are chipping in to not work, by all means, don't work! No brainer!

That's probably why I have the dilemma, it's a good GA, but I don't need to take it. I'm wondering if I should just "volunteer" to work with the professor that I really want to work with. The GA is with one professor I like, and we have some overlapping interests, but they are my #2 choice.

That said, the local government is cutting funding, so there might not be any money for GA's later on.

I just feel weird about taking money from my parents...