Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatwhy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what kind of jobs should I be looking for before I apply to medical school? I need some money since I've been out of the game for a while (can't forbear my loans anymore) and I'd like to find something that will help my application.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Jobs in the healthcare field or environment never look bad for an application.

Check with your local hospital and see if they have any positions open. One example I can think of is a porter, you basically transport patients within the hospital from their room to testing areas etc, you don't need any medical experience and this job would allow you to accumulate hospital hours.

Working with local labs and/or University labs will also provide great opportunities.

Hmm...i was gonna volunteer at the ER for exactly that position. That'd be cool if I could make money doing it! Thanks for the ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, what kind of jobs should I be looking for before I apply to medical school? I need some money since I've been out of the game for a while (can't forbear my loans anymore) and I'd like to find something that will help my application.

Thanks for the advice!
degree?

Reactions: 1 user
Phlebotomy can be a good option depending on what training opportunities are available in your area and what's required by the hospital. Getting good at drawing blood is never a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 users
CNA :biglove:! Depending what programs are available, its pretty good money and nice experience working with people.

C.N.A. Medical Scribe. Medical assistant (depending on what state you're in, may not need formal training at all).

What's your background? Something in clinical research good be a good avenue - clinical research coordinators actually get some patient (well, subject) interaction as well, and in some cases gather basic study metrics / data / specimens.

Scribe is huge in my area; my local trauma center hires up anyone who can read, write and type. Good way to get some floor time. You could try for something in EMS, but most systems want you to have firefighter, rescue tech and a number of other certifications that aren't going to (really) help you towards your goal. Plus, academy can be as long as six months unless you opt for the commercial side.

I've been trying to find a job at a local hospital, but you know, after I told them that I'm going to school full time (meaning: only work summer), no one hired me :(
What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to find a job at a local hospital, but you know, after I told them that I'm going to school full time, no one hired me :(
What should I do?

What size town/city are you in?

You could mention you are willing to work off shifts which is generally where people are needed.

I started working in the ED at my local hospital only a week before I got accepted to school--honestly I have no idea why they hired me since I talked about med school in my interview with my manager. Anyway, I do patient registrations and insurance verification--it's kind of a lowly position but it's paying the bills and I get to talk to patients all day.

I do think that having this job will make me appreciated the rest of my coworkers in this type of position in the future. It's all about the teamwork, and they really do need me to do my job if they want to do theirs efficiently. Truth be told, I've been treated like crap by nurses (more often) and docs, but I'm just taking it with a grain of salt and telling myself it's good experience and only temporary. All in all the majority of the nurses and docs are super friendly/respectful and excited to talk with me about my future in med school though. Maybe that's a type of position you could look into also?

Reactions: 1 user
I started working in the ED at my local hospital only a week before I got accepted to school--honestly I have no idea why they hired me since I talked about med school in my interview with my manager. Anyway, I do patient registrations and insurance verification--it's kind of a lowly position but it's paying the bills and I get to talk to patients all day.

I do think that having this job will make me appreciated the rest of my coworkers in this type of position in the future. It's all about the teamwork, and they really do need me to do my job if they want to do theirs efficiently. Truth be told, I've been treated like crap by nurses (more often) and docs, but I'm just taking it with a grain of salt and telling myself it's good experience and only temporary. All in all the majority of the nurses and docs are super friendly/respectful and excited to talk with me about my future in med school though. Maybe that's a type of position you could look into also?

That actually sounds awesome. To get these positions, what exactly do I have to do? Do I just go to the hospital/hospitals website and ask what jobs are available or something? I've just got no idea where to start. Thanks!

CNA
Scribe
EMT

I vote for CNA because it's the easiest certification that gives you direct patient contact. Scribe is good but you aren't doing patient care. I've been a CNA at a hospital for nearly three years and I've learned a lot. I did a 5-week course to get the certification. Some hospitals will hire you without a license. Some call this job "PCT" for Patient Care Technician.

I'm a CNA at a hospital. I think it's great patient care experience while in school, especially if your goal is to pursue any health related profession. I have been fortunate enough to land a position with a major academic hospital in my county. It offers an opportunity not only to work directly with patients, but to already start working alongside medical students, residents, fellows, attendings and other members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team. The pay is competitive, and it beats working in a part time under-paid job that doesn't have anything to do with the field you're aspiring to end up in.

Home health aide or a hospice aide.

Would be helpful if you gave more info than "give me job ideas" as the healthcare industry is very broad and whatever your skillset is may be more apt for one position than another.