Johns Hopkins Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD413

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on SDN in a long time, and so I'm very eager to get to know some of you guys. I am setting up a list of residencies that I'm applying to and I would really like to attend Johns Hopkins. I've scoured the internet to obtain an adequate gauge of what they look for in students, as well as how many applicants apply to the program. I've yet to find any information about this. I am planning on contacting them directly, but I was curious if there were any current or former residents of the program. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did a rotation at Hopkins as a student...seems like they really overwork their PGY1s and the only reason anyone would do a PGY1 there would be to be able to do a PGY2 there, so hopefully you're applying for that reason. I do know it is quite competitive...as everyone glorifies Hopkins in their mind. People in my class with a great CV didn't get in.

My advice is if you really want Hopkins, go for it, but also apply broadly. I feel like the main reason for good residency candidates not matching is that they only apply to elite programs. Also, keep in mind that if you want to work for Hopkins eventually, their pharmacist salaries are much lower than the other hospitals in the area.

I do plan on applying because I want the PGY2. I wish to pursue cardiology pharmacy, and their program is one of the best. These will be my stats upon application (not sure if it'll help):

GPA 3.8
Rho Chi member
Research with professor (cardiology related)
ASHP spotlight poster at Midyear 2021
Developed an IRB protocol for current Impella study I'm involved in with Cardiology pharmacist in Michigan
- Most likely presenting at ACC (will be published)
ASHP Heart Health Co-chair
APHA Diabetes Chair
ACCP Community Outreach Chair
SGA Liaison for class
ACCP Journal Club presentation through Peds PRN
60 hours of community service
Two positions as a pharmacist intern throughout classes (inpatient & outpatient)
Longitudinal APPE at Yale
2 clinical rec letters (cardiology and institutional)
1 academic rec letter
IPPE rotations:
- Two P&T Committee presentations at North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System (Zucker Hillside Hospital)
- My guideline recommendations for acute agitation were implemented into their order set

I feel as if I could have a shot if I kill the interviews. Then again, I'm not sure what everyone else is doing. Does anyone see a deficiency here where I can improve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks pretty good. If you're OK with living in Baltimore, have you also considered applying to the Baltimore VA? I worked there until 2 weeks ago, and 2 of our PGY1 residents in the past 5 or so years went on to PGY2s in cardiology (with a 3rd hoping to match this year). It's also quite a competitive program though, so if you do apply, really think about whether you'd want to do a residency in a VA environment and have that reflected on your letter of intent.

From what I've gathered Hopkins is that pharmacy autonomy isn't the best? This is just word of mouth but I was left with the impression that JH doesn't empower their pharmacists a lot and they don't have much pull. I could be completely wrong but compared to UMMC right down the road when I interviewed for a PGY2 UMMC it allowed for a lot more independence from its pharmacists. I agree with bacillus in that I think you have a pretty well rounded resume but unfortunately nothing is guaranteed with residency and the match.

Had a friend from UNC with incredible stats, applied to 14 programs first round didn't get a single interview.

She matched the 2nd round and things work out but the key is to apply to a variety of programs and try not to hang your hopes on just one. Although I applied to 10, got 1 interview at my dream program and matched so maybe I'm not the person to give advice :shrug: