Join a practice in the past involved with insurance fraud?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonphysiologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was looking to join a practice at one point that looks great on paper, nice solo practice for many years, financially very good too. The contract was pretty fair and above MGMA data. I was getting really excited about it until I googled him and found reports that “he submitted fraudulent bills and received improper payments from federal and state health insurance programs” and paid a ton of money to the justice department.

Would you guys still join the practice as an employee even though that was a couple years ago and the money is great and everyone seemed very nice?

If you don’t mind can you list specific reasons why?

My inclination is not to because it just seems shady but idk if I have any good specific reasons why I shouldn’t especially if my contract guarantees a salary.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I was looking to join a practice at one point that looks great on paper, nice solo practice for many years, financially very good too. The contract was pretty fair and above MGMA data. I was getting really excited about it until I googled him and found reports that “he submitted fraudulent bills and received improper payments from federal and state health insurance programs” and paid a ton of money to the justice department.

Would you guys still join the practice as an employee even though that was a couple years ago and the money is great and everyone seemed very nice?

If you don’t mind can you list specific reasons why?

My inclination is not to because it just seems shady but idk if I have any good specific reasons why I shouldn’t especially if my contract guarantees a salary.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wouldn't get involved unless I was buying the place and turning over a new leaf. If you're not going to have any say in how the business is run and its practices then you're just going to risk being tattooed by its bad reputation.

NO WAY. You are an employee. Charges will be submitted in your name and you are responsible for their accuracy. Shady dealing can result in you being sanctioned and risk being either banned from Medicare or unable to get in network with any commercial insurance plan. Too risky as it could literally end your career.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)