PhD/PsyD Joint PsyD/ physician assistant programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm all for psychologists gaining prescriptive rights with the appropriate post doctoral masters training. I think their holistic view they would make them ell suited to prescribe and do extensive therapy.

However, since there are such widespread troubles with gaining these rights in different states for some reason, and some people even in the field are against it, how would you feel about clinical psychologists getting secondary Physician Assistant degrees as a way to get prescribing rights and have this as a backup alternative if the post doctoral masters laws aren't passed.

Why don't psychologist take advantage of that pathway rather than go through all the trouble of getting laws passed for post doctoral training? Maybe they can have collaborative agreement where joint PA/psyd programs are put in place.

Members don't see this ad.

Some have done something similar. The IL law is set up for something similar to what you are describing.

There's some legal stuff with that idea. Say you get both, prescribe and do therapy. Someone wants to file a board complaint against you. Do they go to the medical board or psychology board? Because both would likely violate double jeopardy. What salary is appropriate? Do orders need to be written for a referral or only when writing a prescription (I.e., cms definitions). In a non-independent practice state, the supervising physician will likely have less knowledge about psychotherapy which creates some liability difficulties.

Reactions: 1 user
Some have done something similar. The IL law is set up for something similar to what you are describing.

There's some legal stuff with that idea. Say you get both, prescribe and do therapy. Someone wants to file a board complaint against you. Do they go to the medical board or psychology board? Because both would likely violate double jeopardy. What salary is appropriate? Do orders need to be written for a referral or only when writing a prescription (I.e., cms definitions). In a non-independent practice state, the supervising physician will likely have less knowledge about psychotherapy which creates some liability difficulties.

Oh I see it now, so rather than tapping into a whole seperate program with a whole seperate board and regulations, and needing different licensure and credentials etc.. it's easier to include it within the realm of psychology and have it all under one board?