Journals in Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me compile a list of the journals in Rad Onc:

1. IJROBP
2. Radiotherapy and oncology
3. TCRT
4. Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of journals...

Members don't see this ad.

Seminal Rad Onc papers are sometimes published in JCO, NEJM, Lancet, Lancet Oncology, JAMA, and JNCI. Also bench research in Rad Onc is often published in Cancer Res, Clinical Cancer Res, and Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. I've also seen SRS/CNS papers in J Neuro Onc or (less commonly but more prestigious) Neuro Onc.

1. IJROBP
2. Radiotherapy and oncology
3. TCRT
4. Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
5. PRO

Members don't see this ad :)
AJCO publishes a lot of RadOnc, on things like newer techniques.

There is a new journal simply called Radiation Oncology published in the UK. It is an open access journal meaning that all accepted publications are available online for free.

Seems like it would be a good journal for a med student or resident to publish. Peer-reviewed, relevant to our field but not overly restrictive in the standards for publication.

One of my favorite journals is Seminars in Radiation Oncology.

TCRT is not just for radiation. Radiat Research and Brachytherapy should be on the list.

There are a few new journals as well: Journal of Radiation Oncology (Luther Brady is the editor) as well as Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology. It's always better to publish somewhere then to let all your work go to waste....

If you have an article that would have general interest, but is not JCO level, Cancer is a good journal or the European Journal of Cancer

For prostate cancer, there is J Urology, Urology, and a bunch of other ones

Someone mentioned AJCO; they tend to publish a lot of rad onc related research as they are the official journal of ACRO

Hope this helps!

They have to get their money somehow. Either they charge the author up front and it is open access or they charge the author page charges and the readers later. The majority of those articles you download while at work are paid for by subscription (hunderds to 10's of thousands/year per journal). The NIH and several other funding agencies now require articles supported by grant money to be deposited in pubmed central to be released ~12 months after publication. However, many of the resident papers don't have NIH support and don't qualify for that policy.

Our Scandinavian collaborators are always publishing in Acta Oncologica, which they refer to as the gray journal.

Here's a color coding legend (useful for newbies):
The Red Journal = International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics = ASTRO's main journal
The Green Journal = Radiotherapy & Oncology = ESTRO's journal

If you have interest in medical physics topics, the two main journals are Medical Physics (the AAPM society journal) and Physics in Medicine and Biology, followed by The Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics (open access). Of course you'll also find some physics articles in the red and green journals.