Journey Into Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilsonJing

WilsonJ
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am an applicant of dental school right now. I know dentistry is what I want to do with the rest of my life. However, I am prepared to face reality if I dont get in this year. I was thinking more school, a master program maybe in biological sciences or extension programs to boost up my GPA. Maybe industry experience or more dental experience, in a lab or clinic. I was wondering if you guys share some paths other have taken to reach dental school.

Thanks
Wilson Jing

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to you would be to take some time (2-3) months or so and vigorously study for the DAT. Depending on how low your gpa is, if you can pull a really good DAT score than you might not need to take an extra path like a masters program.

Also, try to be active in your community and have a lot of volunteer experience. If you have any research experience, that may also help you.

Good luck

Hey guys,
... I was wondering if you guys share some paths other have taken to reach dental school.

Thanks
Wilson Jing

1. Get a good DAT
2. Take Biochem, Anatomy, histology
3. Work in dentistry. Lab work would be super helpful to your time in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Get a good DAT
2. Take Biochem, Anatomy, histology
3. Work in dentistry. Lab work would be super helpful to your time in school.

If you've got the time and resources the above are all excellent recommendations. Seems like 2nd year is alot of "how to do the lab work" stuff. You won't actually do it but you need to know how it happens.

I didn't get accepted my first go around so I talked with the head of admissions at my state school when he came to my undergrad university for mock interviews. He flat out told me that my inconsistency as an undergrad was the main reason I didn't get accepted.

He recommended a masters to show I was capable of a difficult course load and that it would make me more competitive. So, that's what I did, and I got accepted my 2nd go around.

I think the reasons for a particular applicant not getting accepted are infinite and unique. If you you don't get in, I recommend finding someone who will tell you like it is and work on improving your application. If you already have a ton of experience, just getting more experience probably isn't going to help you much. Just my 2 pennies.:)